Sugar Pearls Apricot Harvest Report

I picked the first of the Sugar Pearls today. A couple had dropped, so I definitely waited long enough.

I really enjoy these white apricots and plan on growing more varieties.
We have experienced light rain for the last 2 days (odd for us this time of year) but brix was still decent at between 18 and 21.
Aroma is wonderful, almost floral.
They tend to ripen a little unevenly in the sun and more evenly in the shade.
Unfortunately I don’t have any other whites to compare them against. Most people say the whites all taste very similar.
This tree is 8 years old and usually produces very heavily for me. This year’s crop is very light due to polinator problems (it does require a polinator) and a very unpleasant attack of blossom eating finches this spring.

17 Likes

i got a sugar pearl tree, in zone 5b and in Indiana but no pollinator, i got one apricot on this tree i just noticed and it’s 14 years old. it’s yellow and hard right now and they are small for an apricot. i do not know when they ripen it’s actually the first apricot i ever got from the tree. i did plant another apricot to fix the pollination issue.

2 Likes

With a polinator, I expect your tree will produce abundantly!

1 Like

the tree was covered with apricots the size of a dime, then they all fell to the ground except one.

Very unfortunate. I’m sorry to hear that. I assume your polinator bloomed well? If so, the next question would be temperatures low enough to cause harm at some stage of development. I believe that apricots are not the easiest thing to get to fruit reliably in zone 5b.

There are some varieties that do well in more adverse conditions. Bob Purvis has spent more time and effort trying to figure out what apricot varieties produce well in very challenging locations (like Minnesota) than any other person that I am aware of.

Here is a link to his apricot varieties page. Some very interesting reading.

I’ll check this out, thanks for the link, in regards to the fruit drop, i do not have a pollinator ready this year, perhaps next your it will bloom. i suspected the tree seen all but one fruit as unviable and terminated further efforts. the one apricot i did get i harvested today is quite good. now i have a seed to sprout and see what happens

1 Like

I was without a polinator for one year, and I think I ony got one apricot that year!

1 Like

Is it something you would advise others to get? Is the taste much different from the orange colored ones?

After trying white apricots, I would not be without them. If I was forced to pick between the two (thankfully I’m not), I would pick the whites every time.

1 Like

it’s a great tasting Apricot sweet flesh and tangy skin, i would never get rid of mine now that i actually got one this year. this tree is 14 years old.

2 Likes

It looks quite healthy!

i did cut one branch off a few days ago after i found a lesion that was leaking gelatin like sap, it’s the first time I’ve seen this on that tree and it might have been there for two years, but after inspection i think this was the only one. i did not want to take chances of it infecting the rest of the tree.

1 Like

they look good.

1 Like

Smart move. It could be canker, and once it gets going, it is hard to do anything with. I will say that Sugar Pears is reasonably resistant though.