SWD - Spotted them this AM in RI

Well talk about starting the day off on the wrong foot! During inspection, I saw this flying around one of my fig trees. After squishing and further inspection it’s SWD.

What are you doing to combat these nasties if anything? I could cover the trees in agribon or some fine mesh netting, but seems rather extreme. Those small mesh bags you put on fruit don’t seem like an option when there are hundreds of figs to “bag”.

Serious bummer!
In the 3 years past, they have showed up in my yard in mid-Aug…I have started taking this pest into consideration when I plan what to plant (no more blackberries, Everbearing strawbs, raspberries, the list goes on).
I have read that Spinosad can be used to prevent SWD, haven’t tried itthough.
Floating row cover might be another option, using remap or some other fine mesh material to seal them out.
These are a real nasty bug- thank you globalization😡

I’m unable to find anything related directly to figs and SWD on the web.

I did run across this info on managing SWD from Cornell. Last two pages include a list of sprays directed towards homeowners to help manage SWD, with the most effective sprays containing Spinosad.

Managing Spotted Wing Drosophila

1 Like

Hard to interpret the photo, I am seeing two dark markings on a single wing, in that case, not SWD. One SWD could be found anyplace, but should not be interested in unripe figs but rather fallen, injured fruit.

I have been using Spinosad on caneberries this year and have seen evidence of twitching insects (SWD, ants) near fruit, a sign that it is working.

1 Like

I agree w/ Larry. Not sure that’s SWD, at least by wing appearance.

Here is one of the best identification guides I’ve seen for the pest.

1 Like

Thank you for this. From that document, it appears it was an imitator, as the last picture in that .PDF appears to be a match to what I saw. Very subtle differences in the two, but that guide sure helps.

1 Like

Seeing that double-spotted but unnamed MSU image and the white wing-tip on Mike’s image got me to looking; the RIMike fruit fly is Chymomyza amoena, fairly common and widespread but no common name.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/17770

1 Like