Sweet Corn for Northern Climates

That worked for me in the Southern Rockies. As did Silver Queen.

I agree that this is pretty much true. Whenever I plant the same variety early then follow it a couple weeks later the later-planted stuff always catches up with the early-planted stuff. I do think the early season stuff is about a week before the longer season stuff, but it isn’t usually a whole 10 days to 2 weeks.

I prefer to get my sweet corn early. By the time late July rolls around, it is a buck a dozen, and not worth the effort to grow. It is, to me, worth beating that.

Wow, that’s a huge plot. I guess you grow all your veggies in that plot? If so, I suppose that would make it easier to protect being that everything’s in the same area.

That’s probably my problem, I usually have 4 or 5 plots. Trying to protect all of them from deer is a chore. Last year I had 4, and used the fishing line fence approach. They hardly messed with my corn/bean crop, browsed the cuke patch early, but later left it alone. But, they devastated my tomatoes, but the peppers in the same plot were unmolested. Our tater patch didn’t do well, the sweet taters were mowed down, and the reg ones had their green parts gnawed on. But, those were more affected by too much rain, and ended up rotting in the ground.

I’m probably going to use the same approach this year. I’ve already set up a fishing line perimeter around my strawberry patch.

What are those huge plants on he left with the thick stalks? Are they sunflowers?

I grew Honey Select (sh2) and Silver Queen (su) last year, side by side. I didn’t have any cross-pollination issues. The HS was excellent and the SQ was pretty good, but we won’t be growing it this year.

HS doesn’t have issues with other sweet corns from what I’ve read.

is it possible that they weren’t bloom at the same time? As far as I know, su, se, sh2 etc mixed grow together, the sweet corn will reverse back to field corn

We planted SQ and HS the same day. However, HS matures in about 80 days, and SQ in about 90 days. I remember HS tasseled about a week or two before SQ did, so that may be why there weren’t any issues.

We aren’t growing Silver Queen this year, going to try some Ambrosia and Kandy Korn. Still, we’ll take care to plant them accordingly.

Instead of messing with fishing line, get an electric fence. Even just one wire will keep out deer usually. Bait it with peanut butter on pieces of foil to start with. Rabbits can still wreak havoc, though.

Yes, Sunflowers, Mongolian Giants I think they were. They topped out at 14’. I have two gardens, probably another 1000sq ft closer to the house with perennial herbs and veggies (asparagus, rhubarb, thyme, oregano) as well as root crops and lettuce. That’s the “kitchen garden”.

1 Like

What thyme cultivar grows in your zone? I just lost a plant and need a replacement.

German / Winter thyme, I started it from seed last spring, from Territorial.

1 Like

Thanks!

Have had good luck with Espresso. Not entirely sure of its cold soil germination performance, as I start indoors and then xplant outside. But it performs well with our cold nights and has always produced. (Opps didn’t see that I had already said this a few months back)

I want to try American Dream, as it is an AAS winner in 2018. So it’s on top right now. I only grow a small patch every other year. I need a winner every time. A national winner so performs well in a number of environments. Developed in IL Mature in 77 days. I don’t need an early type, I can wait till around June 15th. Fairly warm by then, at least here.

Same group did this cultivar, and AAS used Peaches and Cream as the standard to beat. They felt American Drean did, but best be the judge yourself.

I feel the same way about raspberries. It used to be a care free crop.

A couple of others also peaked interest,. Many have praised Serendipity, and Honey Select but I grow so infrequently, I have yet to try them. I was going to grow Honey Select which seems to be a very popular variety, yet American Dream just won this year. Honey Select was the 2001 AAS winner, and with all the praise I read for this AAS winner, the most recent winner made more sense, so maybe in 2 years I’ll try Honey Select, or maybe stick with American Dream, time will tell…

I think it will else it would not have won the AAS honor, it has to perform well all over. They have regional awards too, this won the national selection, not regional.
I’m buying mine from Johnny’s as prices are good, beat Harris easily. In their description
“Adaptable variety with excellent tip fill and strong husk protection”

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/corn/sweet-corn/american-dream-f1-corn-seed-4393.html

When I see reviews about germination I ignore them, as the best corn I grew had the same reviews. They planted too early. Plus I have a raised bed they go in. The bed is always warmer than the ground. People mostly farmers who rate veggies for AAS is all I need. One legit complaint is only one ear, which is fine with me anyway. The info states this, so if you expected more, best research what you grow. Plus Park Seed to me is not the best company. I have received some poor seed from them in the past. I try to avoid them. I got garlic from them one year and it was in terrible shape. Many seeds I got were fine, but too many bad experiences over the years.

I grew American Dream last summer. It was good. I thought the germination was OK considering the conditions. In cold soil, it’s not going to germinate as good as something like Temptation, but it was OK.

We had a really dry summer but American Dream still produced some decent sized ears for how dry it was.

Golden Bantam is a favorite for me too.

1 Like

For yellow, Bodacious. For bi-color, Ambrosia. For white, Tuxana. Tuxana has great flavor and ripens a week earlier than Silver Queen.

2 Likes

Espresso is a good early season sweet hybrid, and Golden Bantam is also pretty good. There seem to be more early hybrid these days, at least I see them in the catalogs but have not tried that many. Even a few of the super sweet types that have been bred enough generations so that one can save seed from them.