T-Post and U-Post tips and tricks, gadgets, accessories

I don’t actually have anything novel to start this with, but I’ve been thinking about creative ways to use t-posts and u-posts around the garden and house beyond basic fencing and staking. What are your favorite tips, tricks, and gadgets for t-post and u-posts? Favorite fancy bracket? Best way to attach wood, tubing, etc? Fancy trellis? Tell us how you get the most from your posts!

I will say that if you’re on the fence (haha!) about getting a post driver, they’re totally worth it if you install more than a couple t-posts a year. Takes about a 1/4 of the time of using even a fairly heavy hammer, especially on the taller posts.

6 Likes

I have only cut t-posts with a chop saw to make them smaller for plant supports. Now if you talk about cattle panels, I have many different uses.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to buy 10-foot T-posts to replace shorter black locust posts, but they’ve been out of stock at our local Agway for a couple months. Covid blamed.

1 Like

Let’s hear 'em!

Arches for Veggie Vines. Greenhouse roof structure. Kiwi pergola (shade cloth on top).
a 5 foot by 6 foot compost bin (have three). Found a spiral hinge online.
Cut into pieces for shading the west side of pawpaw.
Cut into pieces for a frame on a misting tent…
Random pieces used to put in concrete panels for garden wall.
I recently bought some goat and sheep panels that have 4 inch by 4 inch squares to use to hold my persimmon and pawpaw seedlings in tree pots.
Nothing goes to waste.
I got these originally to keep a German Shepard out of the garden and when he moved I had to find another use.

4 Likes

This is an interesting post and I will be following for tips.

1 Like

Post and fence puns are also welcome.

1 Like

I like the sound of that spiral hinge. Do you think it would work for welded wire fencing as well?

I am thinking about buy some t-post to support branches of my fruit tree from breaking. The best price is 8’ t-post at tractor supply store. But 8’ is not available in my area. I have to drive an hour to Wisconsin to buy the 8’. I have not made the trip yet. But I need to get the support soon before the fruits getting heavier

1 Like

Do you have a Menard’s nearby? They usually have the 8’. It might be a bit more expensive, but I think that would be offset by the at least $10 in gas and 2 hours of your time unless you’re getting a boatload of them.

Yes there are Menard near me. It sells 7 ’ u -post, not as strong as the t-post.

1 Like

I’ve bought 8 foot from Menards. Can they special order it to your store?

1 Like

Similarly, a post puller (such as this one) will make your life much easier.

3 Likes

Maybe. But the price is not compatible with tractor supply store

1 Like

Looks like Menards is $1 more. How about Rural King, do you have any of those nearby? I know there’s some in IL. https://www.ruralking.com/8-foot-steel-t-post-single-post

1 Like

Don’t have Rural king. If Menard is only $1 more I will buy from Menard, it is one of my favorite stores. Where did you see the 8’ price?

2 Likes

I just looked online: https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/fencing/utility-fencing/steel-fence-studded-t-post/1712892/p-1548315005287.htm

There’s a dropdown with the different sizes.

Thanks. This is a not bad price either. I will see if I can order online and deliver to the local store here. The problem with tractor supply store is it can’t order online and pick up at local store

1 Like

If you use T-posts to make raspberry trellis you may find it is difficult to tighten the cord between the posts unless you connect the wire to the ground on both ends on each layer of the wire. If you have no extra space it is not always possible. In that case use the cheapest planks you can find in proper length to connect one post to another on tops only. That will prevent them bending in either direction. You can drill a hole in the plank end and use heavy duty cable ties to attach them to the pots. Now you can just drag the wire through the holes in the posts and tighten it as much as you need.

2 Likes

Not posts, but definitely accessories. About 10 years ago on a “free” yard sale I got two large boxes of binder clips. They become my first “go to” in many applications:

• Connecting nets and shade fabric to the 1/2 conduit or bamboo frames, vegetable cages or 5/8 inch board on framed garden bed.
  • Using as branch weights (clip one around the branch and regulate weight by connecting some actual weight (for bigger branches) or few other clips to each other )
  • Hold wires in place for thermostat and heater or bug zapper covered by plastic jugs from elements.
  • Use as temporary repair for holes in the nets.
  • Close entrance into net enclosures.

Another useful accessory is 99C Spring Clamp from hardware store. They are great to put net on 2 inch thick board frame using thin plank to hold the net.

And one more - good stapler. Making nets, repair holes

2 Likes