The best Asian Pears

Then heavily thin the fruits and bag them.
This year, I didn’t bag my pears because of serious FB. I am studying how to prevent FB next year and bag my fruits from tiny.

2 Likes

I am one of those nuts who bags my fruit in thousands.

I don’t bag A. pears. Too many of them.

4 Likes

I harvested the rest of my Drippin’ Honey today. What a great pear these are! Big, flavorful, and sweet. Can’t wait for more next year. They are as large as Korean Giant but I get to enjoy them a month earlier—a big plus.

13 Likes

When did you start harvesting these?
I thought KG is better than dripping honey. No?

2 Likes

To me DH is not as good (they also cracked a lot in my wetter area

Taste is obviously subjective…

2 Likes

@Susu I started picking them 2 weeks ago when I found ants attacking one, so the last week of August. The taste is different than Korean Giant, but is very pleasing to me. Both are great pears to grow in my opinion. They are better than most store bought Asian pears.

@mamuang That’s very sad that they crack at your location. We get plenty of rain around here but my pears luckily don’t crack, only some varieties of figs.

3 Likes

@PharmerDrewee i had a lot of cracking last year but we had wet weather most of the year in 2019 with no cracking at all. Some years we have a few crack. Conditions are either good for them in a location or not. Ive never had cracking like that in any of the other years ive grown them which has been way back to the gardenweb days and beyond (we have been on this website nearly 5 years so i have grown drippin honey many many years longer. Maybe 12 years / fruit 6 -8 yrs? ) . They are more prone to crack than other pears if its an issue in your area. Many prefer DH to KG but KG is a very good pear as well like @mamuang said. At times one is better than the other depending on the year. Its not a competition for me between the two as you said @PharmerDrewee they compliment each other with different ripening times. We are so fortunate to have both!

5 Likes

These are some Korean Giant that were small and immature when the others were picked. Very sweet.

8 Likes

Maybe someone can tell me what type of asian pears these are. They taste mildly sweet but in a pleasant way , they are also very crisp and juicy. I bought this group of asian pears thinking they were likely hosui or Korean Giant but these are not either type. I enjoy them but not for any of the reasons i like a european pear they are nothing like that.Like ya li you will either love them or hate them. A guy had tags mixed up on a large lot of these and so the price reflected the confusion on varities. If there is a type from the lot i purchased i dont like then no worries i will graft them over. The skin is not rough at all. Most of us have established what are favorite types are and Dripping honey and Korean Giant these are not but they are good. Chojuro if it was not so fireblight prone is also a very delicious asian pear i highly recommend for those who like the flavor of butterscotch and this pear is not that type either. Hosui can be ruled as well mine were ready weeks ago and they have a very rough skin and different flavor.

4 Likes

Perhaps this is Niitaka AKA Singo. They are a larger russeted pear and the flavor is very mild/watery. The skin texture matches what you describe too. I think their season is slightly later in September though, but it’s not one I grow. They are very commonly imported over from S Korea every fall/winter, and can be found at Asian markets so you can buy some and compare.

2 Likes

The owner of the Asian supermarket where I bought a 2.1 pound Asian pear also told me I should slice it up and make marinade for meat with it.

2 Likes

I ate a Seigyoku off my tree this weekend. I really liked it a lot. Perhaps picked at the perfect time, but it was the best variety I’ve had from my trees this year. I haven’t tried drippin honey. We’ve had a pretty good drought since early July so the asian pears had plenty of sun and dry.

1 Like

I minimally sprayed my pears with spinosad, Surround and sulphur in the spring. I think two sprays. I had mostly perfect pears. I’m thinking the sprays did little as they seem to grow through curculio bites and didn’t get rot. I would try to not spray, but it’s so easy to do when I’m already out there.

2 Likes

Asian pear is a staple in Korean BBQ marinade. I add it to all of my steaks because it adds subtle flavor, tenderizes, but doesn’t impart something too strong or obvious.

2 Likes

Large, right sweetness, super light, juicy, and crunchy Yali.

Tony

16 Likes

Nice harvest.

Just beautiful Tony!!

1 Like

Snow is coming on Friday morning so this Korean Giant loaded with sweet fruit have to be harvest today.

Tony

16 Likes

I’ve said many times that the best Asian pears for my yard is Korean Giant. I have proof that even squirrels agree.

Those sons of the gun always take bites off the biggest and sweetest KG. I hate them.

8 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5. @mamuang. I haven’t tasted many Asian pears but it is hard to imagine one being better than Korean Giant. Hope to catch up with you guys in a few years.

1 Like