The Kittatinny Blackberry(Rubus bellobatus)

When looking at Scott’s old reference to fruiting plants in the United States by district,this Blackberry comes up a number of times.Even though the plant is native to the Northeastern quarter,https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=RUBE, the berry is highly recommended as dessert quality,in my area,along the West coast.
Has anyone heard of or grows this one?Maybe they are common in the wild and people just pick them,not knowing the name.
It could be,with the advances in fruit breeding,that this fell out of popularity.
Here is a description from another source.bb

Kittatinny Blackberry

At a meeting of the committee of the invited guests of E. Williams, held at Newton, N. J., on the 8th ult., consisting of P. T. Quinn, J. J. Thomas, L. Wetherell, R. S. Swords, and Geo. E. Woodward, the following resolution was proposed and carried :

Resolved, That the thanks of all fruit-growers are eminently due to Mr. Williams for hie labors in introducing the Kittatinny blackberry, and that we do most cordially give our approval to this excellent variety of a fruit so valuable, believing as we do that it meets in quality, productiveness, and hardiness especially all that is claimed for it; in short, that, it possesses everything required for a flrst-class berry.

The Horticulturist - Vol. XXII…October, 1867…No. CCLVI

The Kittatinny Blackberry #1

How much experiences and opinions do differ. The Kittatinny is much the most vigorous grower of all the varieties of blackberries, but here in our New York market is the least, popular with buyers, because it loses its bright shiny color so quickly. In the West, however, it is the very best of all kinds. A Lacon correspondent of the Prairie Farmer says:

"I have fruited this year, under favorable circumstances, at least thirty distinct varieties of blackberries, and no other named variety is worth a moment’s notice in comparison with the Kittatinny. The fruit is the largest I have seen. I measured several different berries that averaged an inch and a-half long, four inches in circumference the long way, and two and a-half the other. When fully ripe it is all that could be asked in the way of satisfying flavor. When just black, it is perfect for cooking and shipping.

"But to be productive it must have peculiar treatment. Most blackberries make more blooms and set more fruit than the plant can mature, therefore they should be cut back severely early in the spring. The contrary is the case with the Kittatinny; it never shows more bloom than it can mature fruit when properly cultivated, therefore it should never be out back in the least in the spring, i. e., the fruiting cane should not, but the young growing cane of this year that is to fruit next, cannot be pinched back too often - the oftener it has the tips of its shoots pinched out, the more it will branch, the more branches the more fruit; but all of these sub-branches should have a natural terminal bud at the end of the season of growth, and this bud should never be cut off. This ousting back after the season of growth is over, has caused the complaint of unfruitfulness of the Kittatinny almost altogether. There is another point about this plant that has caused many to become discouraged. It does not bear much until it has become well established, which takes from three to four years; we get discouraged before that time and neglect our duty, and failure is the result.

Any one can have success with this fruit who will cultivate it well, on any reasonable soil (without manure) and cut back the young canes as they grow after the first year. It is perfectly hardy here. In six years it has never had an inch of wood killed.

“After considerable experimenting, I have adopted the following system as the best for making a plantation: - Rows six feet apart, running north and south, on deeply plowed land (light, dry clay soil is the best), plants from one to four feet in the rows - would prefer one foot; cultivate thoroughly while young to keep the blue grass from getting a hold in the rows, which is to be feared more than anything else. Ashes is the best and only fertilizer needed”.

1 Like