The market in Apt, France

Saturday is a big market day in France. The market in Apt is one of my favorites! Here is why:

27 Likes

OMG! Sea food paella!!! I’m mouth watering! :crazy_face::yum:

4 Likes

I like those eggplants. Any guess as to what variety? The light purple ones.

1 Like

This just reminded me that it’s dinner time

1 Like

Do those guys get EU subsidies, or are they on their own?

1 Like

I have grown them and bought them, can’t remember the name. Quite common. The skin is very thin and the eggplant is very sweet , makes the best moussaka

2 Likes

I will find out.

I think it depends on the crop and size of the farm. Most of these growers are independent.

1 Like

Susu, sorry it has taken so long. They are called Lavender Stripe.

1 Like

@mrsg47

I have a couple of questions. Question #1 is everything sold in kilograms? Are you basically buying 2 pounds each time? How do we read the E pricing? Here is a currency converter Calculator for French Francs (FRF) Currency Exchange Rate Conversion to simplify things. So as an example is that saying 1 kilo is 98 euro? 2lbs = $17.52 or am i misreading that? Are those considered prawn and not shrimp?

1 Like

I think that’s €1.98 (1 euro 98 cents ) per kg (About $2.32 per kg). You wouldn’t need to buy a kilo at a time ie 500g would cost 99 euro cents.

1 Like

You are reading it correctly. deux cent cinquante grams is half a kilo. 250 grams. Shrimps and prawns , especially prawns or gambas are very Expensive. The gambas are from Nigeria. The sole is reasonable as is cod and salmon. Its the variety of fish we get That is remarkable. I love Turbot and it was difficult to find in the states .

Prawns can run 68 euros per kilo!. Also the variety of tiny fishes is amazing as well .

2 Likes

You tell the fish monger how many people you are serving. It is sold by the portion, then tallied into euros. Hope this helps!

1 Like

You are mis-reading it. 98 euros is over $100.00 dollars! Closer to 114.00

1 Like

Clark, there are no longer French francs. Only euros in the EU.

1 Like

Ok that makes sense thank you for the explanation i appreciate it.

“deux cent cinquante grams is half a kilo. 250 grams”

deux cent cinquante grams is 250 grams.= one quarter of a kilo = 0.55 lb
1 kilogram = 1,000 grams = 2.2 lb

5 Likes

Sorry you are right, it cinq cents cinquante grammes! Oops

2 Likes