The most disappointing fruit you grow?

I had a Norris che in a pot for 4 years. Dropped every year, so I thought maybe it didn’t like being so constricted. Planted it last fall.

Goji is the most disappointing fruit I’ve grown in terms of flavor. Really horrible. Even Lycium Barbarum is tough to swallow.

1 Like

I have a hard time with this plant too. Leaving the crown mostly above ground seems so weird. Plus which side is up?

1 Like

Figs are great, but when they are bad they can be really bad. I had some figs linger over the winter and are now just ripening. Not worth it. I need to remove all of those now.

1 Like

Figs for sure. Very cool plant. Fun to grow, look great in pots in my greenhouse over the winter, easy to propagate. There is a lot to like. I only have one left but it is super loaded with hundreds of figs. Only problem is that I’m not sure I like them. They are OK but I get sick of them fast. On my 3rd variety now and all were good but maybe not worth the space. I’m going to keep messing around with them though, hoping to hit on a variety I really like.

3 Likes

Che fruit…

2 Likes

For me figs are one of the best fruits… but yes, there are boring varieties, that I don’t hate, but I don’t care for either. @PatapscoMike Which varieties did you try?

2 Likes

@PatapscoMike there’s a fig for everyone! I’m with Ahmad. I think they are amazing. We would be happy to give you suggestions and lead you on the right path :wink:

3 Likes

Figs are totaly amazing, dry or fresh! So much varieties that fits to almost everyone taste. :yum:

2 Likes

There is something wrong with the mail order rhubarb as well as the rhubarb from nurseries. I tried rhubarb from 3 different sources all lived in the spring but died within a month or two of waking up. When i dug them up definitely all had some form of disease in the roots.

I really only have one good spot for rhubarb and decided to quit since i put two diseased plants there (also tried a different location to no avail). I was told to go local and Then i found a old lady and got a rhubarb planted it just under soil level like she told me too (we are super dry maybe some places you should plant the crown above the soil i just did what the old lady said), watered it regular also and now i have rhubarb and its very healthy. My recomendation is to find some nice old lady that makes great pie and get her rhubarb!

2 Likes

Have you tried Smith? One of the very best.

Yes, that is how you should plant. Slightly cover in dry areas, in wet areas only plant it 1/2 inch down. It appears most people plant incorrectly.

1 Like

I know rhubarb grows well in Michigan, so I just need to figure out what needs to be adjusted. I think my soil may be a little too much on the sandy side so may try amending the area with some compost and peet. I put blackberries and raspberries in the ground up there last fall too and they haven’t shown any signs of life this year either.

1 Like

I am not berating. Merely stating my opinion that figs are terrible. You should not take it personally.

“Figs are delicious” is not a fact, it is your opinion. And that’s fine. I wish I shared that opinion.

That it is “one of the oldest and most revered fruits in human history” doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

I started with brown turkey, having heard it might survive (it didn’t), it was OK. Then I got a greenhouse and did a black mission in a pot which is better but still not great. I’m growing Prieto or something like that now also, on the recommendation from a guy who grows a lot of figs local to me. He said this was his best tasting variety. It’s a slow starter seemingly because it’s barely peeking out still. I hunted around for strawberry verte and this and that but I’m not paying $50 for a tiny sprout of a fruit I might not even like. And dang, fig people are nuts! (not here, I mean on the web generally)

3 Likes

Depending on the type of Brown Turkey, it can be marginally flavorful, imo. Southern Brown Turkey is pretty good. Figo Preto / Black Madeira is late season. Some people experience splitting when grown in pots. It’s one of the best, though. You mention an Adriatic like strawberry verte, which is a good choice. Along these lines, assuming you enjoy this profile, maybe consider green ischia, Vasilika Sika (vs), battaglia green, and Adriatic JH. Smith is not an Adriatic, but it has a good flavor.

2 Likes

I think you may be right about mail order rhubarb. I wonder if they divide the crown so much that it doesn’t have enough energy to start a new plant. I planted 8 of the Stark Crimson and 2 of the Canadian Red and only 2 of those ever showed any sign of life by poking a couple leaves up. They were planted at various depths from at the surface up to an inch below the surface. I don’t believe any had the crown exposed. I’m going to ask around and see if I can find someone local that would be willing to divide their plant.

3 Likes

Actually “Figs are delicious” becomes a fact when billions of humans since antiquity have perpetuated its culture and taken it far beyond its native lands. That you don’t like figs may have more to do with how they’re grown, when they’re picked, in what condition they are, etc. Similarly, nothing tastes worse than a rotting mango, even though a good mango is one of the most delicious fruits. A perfect fig is delicious, but I respect your distaste.

2 Likes

LOL! Did you say it was the texture? Someone did, my wife feels the same way. She likes the taste. She hates beans too! Again a texture thing. I feel that way with peach fuzz. I love peaches, I grow peaches. I do not eat the skin.

Yes a very good one but very late ripening. Smith is earlier. It is though, not as hardy as some. Also most figs need to be dead ripe to be good. A day can make all the difference. Smith is good even when not fully ripe.
These are ripe (not overripe)

10 Likes

After two years of extremely wet warm autumns suddenly ending with deep freezing polar vortexes, my Honeyberries and U of S Dwarf Cherries have been struggling. I lost my Romeo Cherries and the Carmine Jewel and Juliet Cherries have died back each year to about 2 foot high (they were 3 or four feet and starting to fruit before). The Honeyberries keep starting over from the roots. They all fruited three years ago, but nothing since. I realize that you should not water them in the fall to encourage dormancy, but I don’t know how to control Mother Nature! I am in
Montana, somewhere between Zone 3 and 4, so fruit trees are a challenge here. I expected the Zone 2 plants to thrive and my Zone 4 apples to be “iffy”, but it has proven to be the other way around!

1 Like

Actually, it is still not a fact. G’day now.

4 Likes

Yes! The texture is a deal breaker to me. Not at all what I expected. Figs are still awesome to look at though, especially the ruby-red ones.

3 Likes