The price of fruit trees is too expensive

I hear of some Amish that still sell unpasturized milk (KY, SC, etc.)

But, you’re right, regulations.
(Many places a kid has to
buy a license for a lemonade
stand anymore!)

Roadside egg sales still takes place in Kentucky in some communities…I’ve not checked actually to see if they’re violating any rules…if I need a dozen fresh eggs in the summertime, I don’t really care if they have a stamp of approval on them.

3 Likes

most of our customers are family and friends and the rest are my wife’s coworkers at her credit union. they place orders with her and she brings them to work. i have a cooler on my porch for friends and family to get their eggs from. they leave the cash in there. works good.

4 Likes

Where I live farm stands just off the road side are permitted on your property. Many local farmers sell
their goods such as veggies, fruit, and eggs at these farm stands. The purchaser is expected to (on the honour system) put the payment in a small lockbox. Sadly, there’s not much honour left in the world and many farmers are reporting thefts these days.

2 Likes

Gpas is South 25 mins, so I pick up

My cousin has a lock box stand at the end of his driveway within view of his produce path. Closed for the season of course but someone stole the big Christmas wreath he put up on it within 24 hours of it going up. That’s pretty sorry.

Many farmers have reported their farm stand lock boxes stolen in the last year. With the potential for being caught on a hidden camera this would seem to hardly be worth the risk. I live in a small community where it is very hard to remain anonymous. Even if the police won’t do anything, a picture on a local bulletin board or on the internet trading site for our island would make the offender wish they’d never come here pretty quickly. It’s usually the drifters/squatters from off island responsible for this kind of thing. In the old days this would never happen, but times have changed.

2 Likes

I think the reason it’s ‘profitable’ is if you take the picture of the guy in the act to the police…they don’t do anything!
If you don’t file a case, then (for most people that means hiring an attorney)
there’s no penalty to them.

3 Likes

We still have a few roadside places. Put your money in a box and take your honey/fruit/veggies. It is a disappearing practice though.

During covid my wife and her fellow goat nut buddy were taking all my eggs{I always have 150-300 birds here} and selling them like hotcakes. But now we primarily hatch or sell a few hatching egg sets locally.

Goat madness rages on unabated. The ones we had a few days ago are gone. Two new bucklings off my favorite goat are in here now. And another baby girl is coming in tomorrow.

2 Likes

security cameras that alert your phone are pretty cheap nowadays. just people seeing a sign stating youre on camera tends to keep people honest . as long as you can mount it high enough so it doesnt get stolen or damaged.

2 Likes

It’s technically illegal without a license but there is no way everyone with a sign at the end of their driveway has one.

1 Like

And actually, free market does not guarantee that.

If they are not being purchased at that price the law (theory) of supply and demand say one of TWO things will happen: the supply will decrease OR the price will decrease, which is very obvious that when nurseries go out of business from low sales, the other nurseries can maintain their prices, or even raise them.

Raw milk is so healthy that they made it illegal…actually that’s the true story.

In England there was a study showing that drinking pasteurized milk reduced human fertility 40% compared to raw milk, the next year pasteurizing milk became mandatory.
The saddest part is some of you will defend reducing the population this way.

2 Likes

Satan is very much alive.
But he has a pit reserved for him for 1,000 years. From the present until then, it keeps getting uglier and more depraved, unfortunately.

1 Like

Did you end up ordering again from Maple Valley? I never have.
Considered them for scions, but made other decisions instead.

I did last year, yes. I was pleased with what they sent

1 Like

Maple Valley has a lot of Etter apples I eventually want. But I’m zeroing down on Georgia and Southern heritage apples. And a few European ones. Kind of curious about the Pierce Pasture and Little Jewel apples MV has. Anyone have those?

1 Like

I ordered scions from four places this year. Maple Valley has been the only one who emailed me saying my scions were in storage awaiting my shipment date. A nice touch.

4 Likes

You got that right!!

1 Like

39th Parallel already shipped me the ones I ordered. I’m going to have Clark’s Crab growing in SE PA next year if it isn’t already. :grin:

Still waiting on rootstocks and a couple other place’s scions.

1 Like