These are blueberries right?

berries
Found these growing wild on my property. Blueberries right? I’m in Ohio if that makes a difference.

3 Likes

Is that a recent picture?

They look like it to me!

2 Likes

Yeah, today. Going to keep an eye on it. Has very small seeds like a blueberry. I couldn’t find any obvious lookalikes on the internet, but figured I ask around.

1 Like

Serviceberry looks similar in some ways but fruit would be long gone by now, hence my question.

How tall are the plants in the picture??

1 Like

berries2

Around 4 feet high. Here is a pic will some of the main stem.

1 Like

What ever variety they are, Nice find!

Matthew, so far as I can tell, they are Blueberries.

(Bush is too tall to be huckleberry.) Probably northern highbush, a wild or collected plant.

I’ve picked Huckleberries from bushes >6’ tall before. At 4 to 5000’ elevation, on Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands park in Virginia. This article says they can reach 10’ Where Do Huckleberries Grow: How To Grow Huckleberry Plants with plenty of sun.

Usually 2’ to 3’ is common though. I have many hundreds of them all over my property here, growing in the woods with limited sun. Most don’t fruit as a result. Ones that get a bit more light at the edge of my yard do but at that height wild turkeys walk by and snatch them before I can.

1 Like

Found some ripe ones. Not the best pic, these guys are little.

“Each huckleberry contains 10 hard seeds , while a blueberry has numerous soft seeds . The two plants also differ in stem texture. Huckleberry stems are smooth while the blueberry’s stem is “warty”. When you eat huckleberries and blueberries, you will agree that the taste is different.”

^ The Difference Between Huckleberries and Blueberries - International Wild Huckleberry Association

2 Likes

The seeds almost look too big to be Blueberries.Was a fruit tasted and if so,was it sweet?bb

1 Like

Pretty sure they are wild blueberries from everything I have read. That is a metric ruler btw. Like I said, small. I’m going to clear around it this winter and observe through next year. Foliage, flowers, and berries again. I always like to be 100% sure when eating wild berries.

1 Like

Those large bony seeds suggest this is a huckleberry, genus Gaylussacia, and not Vaccinium. Should be 10 seeds per berry. Blueberry seeds are tiny with way more per berry.

Is the 10 seeds per berry a hard rule? These are along the lines of 30 or so seeds per berry.

1 Like

Those in the latest photo don’t look like blueberries to me. Time to ask @clarkinks.

1 Like

Blueberry, based on large numbers of seed and clear to white interior. The rest of your description suggests it is northern highbush.

I have hundreds of huckleberries on my property, none of whom are knee high.
20 or more years before I purchased a tract, I had walked as a kid and eaten huckleberries.
(There were no turkeys, deer, or bears back then…none at all…in these parts).

1 Like