Tired of the 90 degree days? How do you beat the heat

No such luck fishing for two days on the St Clair River. Then again no one else was doing any good either. I threw my tackle box at them. We don’t usually fish there but my friend who just bought a nice center council put his boat in the marina by his house for the weekend. The river moves at about 3 mph. We were drifting dragging our lines with bottom bouncers and night crawler harnesses. We had a bunch of snags and lost a bunch of line and lure set ups! I told my friend it might be better to stay home and throw a third of the tackle box in the trash and stay ahead of the game, lol! Tomorrow I’m going fishing with another friend who has been fishing all his life and is an excellent fisherman. We will get our limits with him. Were going to Saginaw bay. I go salmon fishing out of Ludington Lake Michigan with him too. This is what they were catching while we were skunked! They were out in lake Huron just out from the tip of the thumb.

Does a picture 12 miles out on Lake Huron cool you off?

1 Like

Yeah, bottom dragging is a good way to empty the old gear out of the tackle box! Good excuse for a new gear Christmas list.

My best buddy and I lose decent amounts of gear every trip as we go to a fast moving saltwater inlet to drift for fluke and stripers. Wreck fishing too, everything just gets caught in the old nets. I don’t do much freshwater - only up on Lake Champlain when we go up to the family place. We’ve used fine chain or wire leader and extended the length of the hang the sinker has. Sometimes (20%?) that helps with gear loss. Your bait is a bit higher up then but if the drift isn’t too fast you’re still technically ‘bottom’ fishing.

Lotsa good no-skunk luck tomorrow JA! :sunglasses:

1 Like

The walleyes are in the river more in April and May and not many stay in the river this time of year. If you drift use weights on metal rods, the rod drags on the ground, not the weight. A lot less snags. i fish from shore mostly myself. The walleyes come in at night. Fun catching them on light gear too.
I went swimming yesterday and the water is not warming up! It was chilly! I usually take my bath in the river, yesterday was the first time this year. I think water temp was around 66F.

He put his boat in there to entertain people on the river and play with his new boat. I like to fish and I fish with him a lot so we gave it a try. I went out on Saginaw bay today and got fried. It was mostly sunny with a haze at times. The water was flat most of the day with absolutely no wind. Which made the bugs unbearable for most people. We were one of the few boats that stayed through the worst of the bugs. Nothing like a thousand bugs on your body crawling in your ears nose mouth getting inhaled and getting bit in the ankles and legs by black flies! The fishing was slow, but we did get 12 fish. I only caught one! He gave me his fish though. He is always generous. Thanks for the tips Drew.

I’m not sure if our thermometer here has even hit 90 this summer yet. A beautiful summer. Just the right amount of rain so far. Move to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Then go south for the winter.

1 Like

I think i’ve hit 90F maybe twice… been plenty of days in the 80fs …

I don’t mind winter…of course spending a few weeks in Cozumel or Playa Del Carmen would help …

You can’t escape it here. Tennis three times a week year round for the last 35 years helps but it is still very hot in my area.

100% polyester shirts with wicking action helps while working in the orchard and yard.

Friends down under sending me pics of snow.

Some places getting snow for first time ever.
Kangaroos confused by “White stuff falling from sky.”

2 Likes

big straw hat with rail (vent)

wear good safety sunglasses

loose natural fiber blend light color clothing (cotton)

sunscreen

Start at 4am and head out when enough light to see by (need DEET if before sunrise). Do non-motor driven stuff until 6:30AM then let er rip.

Work in the shadows as much as you can first thing and the shadows will move as the sun climbs. Work under large shade tree if possible; you get transpiration as well as shade.

Take plenty of breaks sitting in front of a fan.

Knock it off between 10AM-1PM. The older I get the more frequent, longer the breaks become and the earlier I say F it. Nap in afternoon (siesta). May go back out and work after 5PM.

Ice cold drinks. Lots of them.

Cold shower when done for the day.

Frozen headband, bandana. Box fans. Misting fan if dewpoint below 56F. Pitch a canopy for specialized outside activities.

Is this for real with the frozen bandana. Got to give it a try while working in my orchard. Might even be able to use it while playing tennis if I could keep it frozen long enough. Bill

That looks like a very confused kangaroo.

I stand in a 110 degree kitchen for 8+ hours most days, a little sun in the backyard is a welcome change for my pale bald head.

We just started what I hope is a string of days in the low to mid 90’s with night temps in the low 70’s, and it was cloudy much of the day. What would have felt hot 3 months ago is now an appreciated relief. It was the first day in what seems like a very long time that I didn’t have to take any forced breaks from heat exhaustion.

So, one solution, although a very bad one, is to spend some days in humid 100+ degree weather. A quick drop to the low 90’s can feel bearable.

1 Like

It gets hot in Kansas so we freeze what we plan to drink and poor over us in the fields. An old juice or pop bottle is perfect to freeze solid and then use throughout the day as you need it. Dump some ice water over your head from time to time. It’s amazing how cool you can stay and if it’s really bad take a cooler full. Key is being prepared. My girlfriend and I swim in the morning sometimes and that will cool you down for sure. I also use a big hat to keep the sun off of me. Someone might make fun of me if they saw me but let’s be honest no one else is outside unless were together. Take a vehicle even if it’s a lawn mower, tractor, truck, 4 wheeler or whatever and keep it as close as you can to get you out of the heat in a hurry if you need it. Have some water to jump into when you get to hot even a horse tank is perfect.

Folks in the South think we have a lock on hot humid summer days. After reading all these post from other areas I’m having second thoughts.

We also think everyone has grits for breakfast like us.

1 Like

We are starting a four day heatwave tomorrow. 90’s all day long plus humidity. Today we had the end of cool summer breezes. End of July, beginning of Aug. are miserable. I can work in my gardens and orchard in the morning and late afternoon only. Too hot to chase rabbits around the raised beds. Rest of the day is spent in air conditioning!

Our high was 95 , Humidity 77% the next couple of days will be a little hotter as we climb toward 100 f. I like this time of year because I can make my yogurt outside. Yogurt requires 100 degrees for around 8 hours. I also like the heat when it’s gone. I’ve been only one place that felt hotter in my life and that was Beaumont Tx and I went on down into Louisiana. The humidity there is about 10% higher and the temperature is around the same. The south has more water and humidity and it sure does make it feel miserable and hot. The other thing is in Kansas we know as soon as the months ending in R get here it starts to rain then it gets cold and snows. We are swimming and enjoying the bounty now because winter is shaping up to be brutal. This extra water will turn into snow in about oct / nov.