Tis the season, Roasting Chestnuts

Chestnuts are fresh and in the markets for about three weeks now, so, it being December (holiday-chestnut season) I thought I’d try them! Roasted them for 20 minutes at 425 degrees. Scored the round side with an X. All of the shells and skins came off immediately. Going to make a sweet puree. They are quite sweet themselves. Just love them!

8 Likes

I’m thinking about a turkey stuffed with chestnuts.

4 Likes

I love them too! I enjoy snacking on them roasted, but have been meaning to find other ways to use them in autumn cooking. I wonder how they would do in a dumpling…

1 Like

Pureed they would be wonderful. The French make many desserts from them and use it in. their turkey stuffing for Christmas. These are very sweet. They will need little sugar.

1 Like

They look wonderful. I love the taste of European chestnuts, can’t seem to fall in love with others.

1 Like

Those look wonderful! I have a mature chestnut tree that was planted at my house by the previous owners. It has decent sized nuts with a good taste but it seems they’re so dry no matter what I try. Anyone have suggestions?

2 Likes

I would normally be doing this now, but the cicadas decimated the outer branches on my tree. I am usually filling a 5 gallon bucket every other day. This year I didn’t get a single one!

1 Like

Ive never had chestnuts, feel like Im missing out…

1 Like

So sweet and nutty. I will turn mine into almost a cream. Really delicious!

1 Like