Tomatoes: Hey, how's it growing?

Ah! Found 1 Early Girl I had missed yesterday, and here is a comparison.

Now, 12 or so hours later, see how much more ripe the Costoluto Fiorentino has become! Went from light green with hints of red to light red with hint of green

2 Likes

Pineapple Pig tomato finally is fruiting. Not sure size it will become, but leaves smell good!

2 Likes

Does this look ready yet?

3 Likes

Nice tomato

I had a ton of rain after 90 degree days and so one type of tomato got blossom end rot. It may be okay now, but lost 2 big ones. I had never had that problem before.

So here are a few tomatoes today. Shown four different varieties including the type that got the rot. We expect tons of rain starting tomorrow and all next week, so I fear the worst.

3 Likes

In 2018 I grew Valencia , a orange tomatoe.
While not my favorite, flavor wise , they did yield well, very little blight ,etc.
This year several came up as volunteers, late in the season.
Befor the first hard freeze first week in November, I picked all of them, put them in the garage . Zone 6 ,Wv.
Many were green… Slowly they turned.orange.
I ate them at thanksgiving, xmass, and on New Year’s Eve !
Today , January 13th there was 2 left . Not rotten, but had a odd color to them.
I cut them open, the seeds had sprouted !
I have never seen this before .
Long keepers for sure !

6 Likes

So , does anyone have recommendations for tomatoe varietys that will keep into the winter like these ?

2 Likes

Another year with Valencia tomato.
I do like the flavor better of some other red tomatoes.
But when I open the freezer door I’m seeing yellow.
Valencia is yellow. And good .
September 25, 2021 Western West Virginia…
The leaves at the bottom of the Valencia plant and all the other leaves are still green very healthy looking no …no signs of blight .
Most all other tomatoes would show sad looking leaves by now .
Various leaf blights
Valencia

Very productive, till a freeze .

2 Likes