Tony's 2017 Orchard photos

Tony,

What’s the trunk caliper on your Great Wall persimmon? How many fruit do you expect this year? My Nikita is roughly the same size as when I planted it ~5/8" (it had some girdling by rabbits the first winter). It’s 2 years old and it has about 30 flowers. Would you recommend keeping any or should I pick off any that set fruit? I was planning on picking them all off and letting the tree focus on growing. But I’m also tempted to keep 1 or 2 around. Any suggestions when growing persimmon?

DWN

My GW the trunk is about 1 1/2 inches. I will let all the fruits hang on and see after all the fruits drop and I may decide to keep around 10. Your NG may drops all the fruits the first couple of years.

Tony

Nice work Tony!

I hope you got takes on those fragrant pear seedlings I sent you because my stock died of fireblight this spring (an old blighted quince tree I topworked). I tried to move one of them over to another tree but I’m not sure I grabbed the wood soon enough.

1 Like

Scott,

I grafted 6 branches, three of each. I saw buds pushing so We are in good shape. PM me next Spring if your grafts failed.

Tony

2 Likes

Very nice, Tony!

Thanks Tony!

Tony, You are the man!!!

Good to know that persimmon can fruit successfully when grown in pot. This is another option for us as we are out of ground space.

Looking good Tony, I don’t feel as busy now!

Morning coffee with Tony pics. Thanks! Awesome!

Dax