Too late to top a Sweet Cherry?

@mamuang Very valid point, however I got the tree on a whimsical purchase. I wanted to get everything on a NR1 or G-5\6 but I figured worst case, I can regraft onto another rootstock or tree if I can find a great deal on one. It was a matter of having money available versus not having it, one never knows what will break next in the house :frowning:

1 Like

Since I have growing fruit for 10 years now, I see myself re-considering fruit trees from a point of view of money vs time. I bought an apple tree cheaply without knowing a rootstock and waited 6-7 years for its first fruit. Had I bought a tree with a known rootstock (probably more expensive), I probably saved myself 3-4 years.

Another mistake I and many new growers make is growing what we want instead of what grows well in our climate. After battling diseases and insects years after years, some of us give up on their “favorite” kinds of fruit trees.

Sweet cherries are tough to grow in our humid east including the mid Atlantic. Sour cherries seem less problematic. Get ready for spraying. Have you checked Rutger extension services for their advice on sweet cherries in your area.

2 Likes

Aye. I do refer to Rutgers as well as PennState for various info. I may end up in the same boat, but if nothing else, I’ll have gained experience from the mistakes. Not sure that will make me any happier when things go sideways.

1 Like