Too Much of a Good Thing

Scott, you need to fix this thing, because this software won’t let me
finish my post and never does, when it’s a long post.
and we’re a lot more fortunate than a lot of people. Our Governor,
Nikki Haley, has been outstanding in handling this really bad situation.
My hats off to her.

Ray, at least you have bottled water and feel safe in your house. Thank God it has finally stopped raining. Take care.

Ray, glad you are ok and have water, and now electricity again. Has it stopped raining there yet?
I guess that answers my question about Muddy, she must not have electricity yet.

:pray:

It’s started raining again and the situation is very fluid. The eastern
part of the city has started to issue mandatory evacuations. There are
a number of small interlinking lakes there, and some of the dams are
starting to fail. There are a lot of very expensive homes in that area. That’s
where my friend that lost his house and cars lives, and it’s going to get
a lot worse. Fortunately Dianna (Muddy) and I live in the western part of
Columbia. Our evacuation has been changed to voluntary. It’s supposed
to stop raining tomorrow, and I sure hope the weatherman is right. This is
the most rain we’ve ever had in history; and to think that we had a terrible
drought all summer.

1 Like

I just called Dianna and she’s fine.

3 Likes

Ray, thanks for the report. So sorry you’ve had to deal with this. Hope tomorrow brings sun and gradual drainage.

Thanks Alan, it’s very much appreciated. We’re all hoping for the best.

Ray

Oh my gosh. Thank you for the report, Ray. Especially on Dianna. I’ve been sitting in the ER all day with a very sick husband, and kept thinking about you all. I surely hope it stops raining for you. We had some very nice and soaking rains here, thank God, but it’s zooming back up to the 90’s this weekend, if you can believe it. I’m so over this heat. Praying for more rain next week. I’ll ask for yours :umbrella:

HQ, sorry to hear about your husband. Hope he is better now.

Thanks, Mrsg. I think he may be turning a corner this evening. We’ll see. If not, I’m taking him back to his doctor tomorrow. The doctor at the ER was a bit of a chump.

3 Likes

Thanks both for reporting in and letting everyone know that I’m fine, Ray.

I apologize for not getting back sooner. I eventually got some sleep last night. I was tired after being awake for almost 2 days straight. Then when I got online this morning my browser was unstable and took me awhile to get it restarted. I spent much of today communicating with my girls who are stuck in other areas of the city. I wasn’t worried about either of them until I got the address of where one of them is this evening, looked it up on maps, and saw the proximity to a lake and creek system. (Imagine a big sigh in this space) It was after curfew for that area by then. All I could do was call her and give a fuss and tell them to be aware that they have a waterway leading from a lake right behind that house. She says the house is on relatively high ground. I’m just going to trust for the night that all will be well. That one is the most worry free person I’ve ever known. I think their risk overnight is low, but not non-existent.

My house and all those in it fared well. Along with a major helping of luck, it’s because of my preparation and overnight efforts while it poured. Without that, we would have large problems, too. I’ve been working to sanitize and clear the pool. Still have at least a few more days of work on that. The branch that fell on the roof was quite large, but I see no damage. I haven’t done any housework. The kitchen especially shows it because I won’t use water that they say should be boiled for drinking to wash dishes, or scrub the kitchen with, even if it’s boiled first because the possible contaminants are endless. Some things can’t be eliminated by boiling.

Hospitals have the same lack of drinking water as everywhere else. Staff has been stuck there taking turns working because relief couldn’t get in.

We can get in and out of home to a well stocked grocery store a mile away, but our road is closed beyond a block from the house because it flooded out. Downtown stores were emptied of food and drinks or closed.

Friends of the family have had houses and cars flooded. A told me one of the drowning victims they found trapped in a car after the waters went down in one area was a grad student from her school who was trapped trying to leave the area.

Despite everything, or because I need something positive each day, I’ve sloshed through the flooded side yard/field every day and gathered my ripe raspberries. It’s taken too much effort growing them in heat well beyond their zone to give them up to SWD and rot if I can help it. Gathering and nibbling them has been a bright spot that has stayed consistent each day. Tomorrow I intend to pick them in the sunshine. :sunrise:

4 Likes

Thanks for the update Ray and Muddy. I would like to here from the others in this area. Hoping they are OK. Even though most of us have never actually met each other, the people on this site feels like extended family members. Bill

1 Like

Muddy, Kate and Ray,
Glad to hear that you have weathered the storm (literally and figuratively). Thank you for keeping us updated.

I feel terrible about the girl who drowned. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

Muddy, Glad that you and your family are fine. Sorry to hear the girl drowned. My thoughts and prayers goes out to the victim’s family :pray:

What a disaster you all are going through out there. My daughter was just out there for an interview at a grad school in SC. She left a few days before the rains came. I can’t imagine what the parents of that girl who drowned are going through.

Muddy, savor everyone of those raspberries. We all think we might have problems, but not like yours. Yours is immediate, and you’ve done all you can to get through it all. I know your water will be receding very soon. And sun is on the way.

Today the sun is out and there’s hardly a cloud in the sky. I’ve
almost forgotten what blue sky looks like. The water in my yard
has mostly receded and I’ve spent the morning chasing down mulch
that floated away to other peoples’ yards.
The main rivers here have all crested and are now flowing down to the
low country, but we’re still under a flood warning. There have been 175
water rescues and over 1800 traffic accidents, with people removing barriers
and driving where they shouldn’t be driving. Unfortunately, the death toll
has now doubled to 14. I live in between two different interstates, and I heard
sirens from fire trucks, rescue vehicles and ambulances all through last night.
All of the shelters are well stocked and Walmart has donated tons of bottled
water for the whole city. So go to Walmart today and buy something

2 Likes

what kind of computer/tablet are you typing on, the formatting in your posts suggests you might have an issue with your browser etc.

I’m using firefox and my computer is not that old