Topworked a fig tree

it frosted again this morning but after the frost melted, I topworked our neighbor’s non-fruiting capri fig tree into a multi-grafted fruiting fig tree for free. They insisted that I bring the snacks they offered me and so I cannot refuse.

I did some bark graft but it was taking longer as the barks aren’t slipping easily yet. Thanks to the bark lifter, it helped but took longer. So I switched over to z-grafting as it can be used even if the diameters are severely mismatched.

7 Likes

Very good trade off Joe.

Tony

1 Like

Tony i think Joe got taken, i counted 8 new tree’s.As long as Joe is happy that’s all that matters.

2 Likes

What are the new varieties?

1 Like

Very nice!
I see you didn’t label the varieties on the tree. Or perhaps I can’t see the labels?

1 Like

Temporary labels until a permanent one is in place. I wrote the name on the branches using permanent marking pen.

Based on memory: Negronne, Purple Mission, Vista Mission, Black Madeira, Yellow long Neck, Black Galicia, Coll De Dama Blanca-Negra, De La Senyora

Updates to the graft. 100% take but the biggest growth was broken by the wind! From unproductive tree for several years to having fruits later this year!

5 Likes

Good job, Joe, I’m sure they’ll be pleased with the results. So, those grafts will produce in less than a year? I’m curious that you grafted in such cold weather, and how they all took, I thought grafting needed to be done when it’s warmer.

1 Like

I like grafting figs when it’s still cold as the sap flow is very little, so no messy hands to clean. A little harder to lift up the bark but I am patient with lifting up a little section at a time.

2 Likes