Tree id

Can some one identity this tree growing wild at my parents?

Looks like an apple to me.

1 Like

I’m going to make a very wild guess and say it’s not an apple because that brown around the stem at the bottom of the blooms remind me of a cherry or plum and the blooms don’t appear to have any red in them which is not typical for apples. The leaves look apple like. Are any buds still closed? I don’t grow every apple out there but my apples all look like this picture I took of my honeycrisp

No they were all open, I think Apple is very unlikely because of where it is located. I can sure see where you might think that from the photos but as we all know sometimes a photo is deceiving. The blooms are smaller and the tree just up close doesn’t really look like apple. I’m leaning towards a plum of some kind. Maybe I can get some pics of leaves and fruit

1 Like

I vote plum!

3 Likes

Plum

3 Likes

I’m not trying to be disrespectful with this statement but the bloom on an apple usually has 5-7 girl parts. One for each seed. Plums only have one seed so I’m assuming it only has one girl part. It is a plum or another stone fruit such as a cherry.

3 Likes

Plum

3 Likes

Thanks for all of the input. I will watch it and see what it looks like as it leafs out. Sorry, one more, ( my mom always wants to know what wild plants are)

That looks a lot like elderberry to me… have you seen it in the past? If so, does it have very red stems leading to purple colored fruit?

Nevermind… It doesn’t look like it has compound leaves and elderberry does…

Cornus something or other??

Mom thought it was elderberry and I’m no expert but I do see what I think is elderberry growing in the ditches here and this seems too woody. More like a tree, isn’t elderberry more like a green plant?

Yeah, you are probably right on the not elderberry. Possibly some sort of dogwood?

First pic is hawthorn. Blooms look like apple but have the pink color and no apples.

1 Like