Morus nigra mulberry?

That would work! I worry about not forming roots and burying the trunk is usually a bad idea.
The roots are too deep and struggle for air. But with that ring, it should work. And new roots will be right where they need to be. My nigras are seedlings so on their own roots. It’s too cold here to plant out, I will keep it in a container for as long as I can stand it.

1 Like

Thanks Juju for the explanation on this mulberry, sounds interesting. I’m a bit confused as I thought the reason most folks grow mulbs is to draw birds away from other fruits, but this is one you’d prefer the birds leave alone, sounds like.

Hard for me to believe that anyone would grow up with a mulberry tree and not eat any…

1 Like

Well, in my younger days, fruit wasn’t a big draw for me as a teenager. Pizza, burgers, hot dogs, etc were the types of food I was interested in then.

Eventually my tastes changed, and I eat stuff now that I wouldn’t touch as a kid. I still like a burger or hot dog, but I also eat more fish, fruits, veggies and nuts, or try to anyways.

I don’t remember eating any of the mulbs, I really didn’t know they were edible. All I really remember was how I hated mowing around that tree, and the fallen fruit staining my sneakers.

3 Likes

Mulberries produce enough for everybody. Birds, neighbors, everybody on the block.

2 Likes

we might be hoarding nigra trees, but with our bird-like appetites and the painstakingly slow-growth of black mulbs, it may still take a while for us to feel like sharing, haha

you said it! I don’t net our jujus since our trees bear much like other mulberries-- producing more than enough for all comers. But nigras are just too precious considering the waiting time from grafting to optimal berry-production.

Below are the veils i just bought for the latest nigra acquisitions.
Only i, can kiss the brides :grin::grin:

4 Likes

i used to raise red-eared turtles, they start as absolute carnivores, but as they age they veer towards vegetarian stuff. Could be their secret to long life :wink:

3 Likes

with grafting union so high, weren’t you worried about wind damage later?

I had two successfully grafted on first-year alba seedlings last year, will try a few dozen more this month. Maybe a bark graft high up for an experiment.

From what I hear. In western part of China, Xinjiang province, where natives graft Nigra high on Alba on the account of avoiding soil-borne diseases against which Nigra are vulnerable.

1 Like

could also be due to alba’s tolerance of frozen earth.during winter, much like trifoliates are used as rootstoc for cold-tender citrus due to trifoliates’ ability to withstand ‘cold feet’. Alba’s seem to be the most cosmopolitan, though not necessarily the longest-lived. Nigra’s seem to be too picky about growing conditions, but when grown in perfect climates, can outlive its other cousins(on its own roots)by several hundred years.

alba rootstoc is rubbery, it will yield to strong winds, but won’t snap in two, stubbornly reverting to its original stance like a bobblehead as the wind dies down.
on the 6th picture featured on the link below(you need to scroll down the webpage), you’d see a relatively skinny alba trunk with a relatively broad nigra canopy. Photos also show the advantage of grafting high, as the berries are more visible from below.

2 Likes

Very nice pictures. I really like the look of Morus Nigra. Besides their fruits it are beautiful trees too with their big leaves and growing habit.

Yes nigras are slower, and I did mean a mature tree. At my cottage is a wild one, probably rubra I guess? That is 50 feet tall, not on my property. I found 4 trees on the island. One is right next to a canal and the mulbs fall into it. Even the fish are eating them! The various trees all taste different, one is very good. I forage from it most years.

One that is hardy for you to put in ground is the Alba Shangri La. It has the biggest leaves of any mulberry I have seen. Even as a two foot rooted cutting it is beautiful. What is surprising about the Alba’s is the amount of variation in cultivars. .

1 Like

Shangri La definately is of interest for me. The one concern with it would be I read it is susceptible to late frosts cause it starts growing relatively early in the season. The same concern I have with Morus Macroura(?) Pakistan. If I have success with grafting it (got some scion wood) I will plant it.

I already planted Morus Bombycis Shin Tso. That cultivar also has very attractive big leaves. It also is susceptible to late frosts I fear.

That was my plan. Now I’ve learned that I really like them and I’m not happy when the birds take them.

3 Likes

I forget that many in zone 7 have those problems. We tend to go from cold to hot. late frosts are not really a concern fairly rare here occurring about once every 10 years. As I type this we are at 22F, we are still very cold here and everything is sound a sleep.I have put outside my Shangri La though to make sure it doesn’t jump into growing. It was in my garage.

By any chance…do you remember what article that bit of information appeared?

1 Like

I guess somewhere in posts on Chinese forums, but I will keep it in mind and get back to you when I come cross some published articles on this subject.

1 Like

really nice to have such quintessential flora americana in one’s yard, and 50 feet of it!

It’s actually in my neighbors yard, It is the largest one I have seen. The others are maybe 25 feet’ More trees may be on the island I don’t know about.

The seedlings are progressing nicely. I started to harden them off now.
I will give them their own containers in a couple weeks.

They are a deep green. Next time i photograph them I will do it on a cloudy day. You can’t really see it in the strong sun. I love my lights, they really do a good job.
Interesting the one on the right has fat rounder leaves. Lot’s of genetic variation in these seeds.

5 Likes