Ugly old graft unions - Clara frijs

We know that not every tree is compatible when grafting it with another. Always hoped the unions would smooth out on Clara frijs with this callery but I find it unlikely. This rootstock tree had a history of rejecting scions prior to Clara frijs. Many years later it produces pears but reminds me of the difficulty grafting it was. Years later all 3 graft unions are easy to see.

4 Likes

I top grafted a young Bartlett with Flemish Beauty and the FB overgrew like that. I made a lot of mistakes with that tree but they’ve gotten a lot of pears off of it! I haven’t seen it for a while now but I think it got pretty big.

2 Likes

Those look good to me. Reminds me of my Shipova on aronia.

2 Likes

I grafted a Clara Frijs to an Asian pear…and it never did leaf out all year. But a scratch test says the scion still is alive. You reckon it’ll leaf out next year?

3 Likes

@BlueBerry

Yes with that pear i think so. In my experience the European pears dont like being grafted to asian pears to much but the otherway around seems fine. Duchess D’ Angoulme did not like being grafted to callery to much when i did that it took months to leaf out. Eventually the graft took off and grew just fine. One way or the other you will find out next year.

2 Likes