Unknown persimmon and a Viollette de Solies

Got unknown sionwood from a friend with a source in Japan, no name.
I grafted them on native persimmon and voila a beautiful and very productive tree.
It appear to be a Fuyu type, fruits are big, none astringent, when fully ripe taste somewhat like a Hachia. Violette de Solies grafted on Chicago Hardy seams to like that combo,72" tall this summer.

7 Likes

Bob,

Did you use cleft graft on your fig. I am planning to do a bunch of fig graftings this coming Spring.

Tony

Tony, no just t/w, because of the soft wood, cleft is just as good. Do you ring a cut just below your cut to make sure no sap between your graft or just wait a little before grafting?

Bob,

I cut the branch across and let it bleeds out for about 10 minutes then do my cleft graft. I also make a small half ring cut into the bark about an inch below the union to let it bleeds out more.
I will do some W&T technique also but it may slow me down a little bit for the extra tongue cut.

Tony

Tony, i use the shick blades a lot for softwoods with the heavy duty holder.

1 Like

Bob,

You got more gears than I do. I just need a box cutter, pruner, Dewalt recip. saw. alcohol, parafilm or IV tegaderm type, and black electrical tape. I am glad that the unknown persimmon turn out to be a good non astringent one. Hopefully, most of my Hybrids will produce in the next couple of years and no more Winter protection. Btw, how is the Violette de Solies taste?

Tony

After reading so much of the best figs from members i am not so sure that i have reach the best of the best. I got a cutting B/M that i was trying to root but did not work.You have to be so careful with the wide range of choices. I decide to graft instead of the different methods, better luck for me. VdS is ok nothing to write about but it did not ripened at the best condition(very late).This tree had a lot of fruits but i rub them all of except that one.

1 Like

BM is a very late fig. You may have to bring it indoor to ripen.

Tony

Tina knives are more than 30 years old, paid about $25.00, cleft grafting an old french kitchen knife, stuck blade in a vise with a slight angle and smack with a hammer, nice clean brake(carbon steel). Small investment big return.

1 Like