Unripe grapes

I may end up with a whole bunch of unripe/semi-ripe grapes from my Pione vine this year.
I made verjuice in the past. Iirc I mixed it with sugar and drank like grape juice. I remember it was difficult to use up.
Any better uses?

1 Like

How about jelly? You have to add sugar anyways. Or is the problem that there’s acidity in the grapes which ruins the flavor if you use them for anything?

Doing some research it sounds like unripe grapes are actually good for making jelly because they contain more pectin. I think what I’ll try is just putting them all through my Cold press juicer, boil up the juice adding sugar or honey to taste. Hopefully that will be enough to gel.

Sure, you can cook jelly out of your unripe/semi-ripe grapes if they have adequate juice in them. Just use one of the standard recipes with pectin. I would discount any additional pectin that I thought was in the unripe grapes though.

1 Like

Just make wine from them. Its called green wine, and what I believe was originally used used in Dijon mustards. I like green wine with seafood better then Whites. The wine will be very tart and low in alcohol unless you add sugar.

I’ve not done it, but since unripe grapes are generally high in acid, I hear they can be used as the “vinegar” in vinaigrette. My wif makes vinaigrette with balsamic vinegar, oil and a little brown mustard.
Good luck!

Cheers, I’ll try that with half the grapes.

That sounds interesting. I can’t find any info online about making your own though.

sounds like verjuice, which I made a few years ago.

Nothing to add except that there’s a restaurant in Baltimore that’s taken the local only thing to such an extreme that they use locally sourced verjus in place of lemon/lime for cocktails.

Why not just let them get ripe?

I tried that a few years ago, didn’t care for it much. Sharp grape taste in everything.