"UpDated" 2018-19 Figs Cuttings Rooting Propagating Experiment in Coco Coir Vs Perlite Vs Sphagnum moss Vs Pro mix HP Vs 3-1-1 Mix

I am in Z5 so I don’t want to jump the gun just yet.

Tony

4 Likes

I agree with you. Specially actively growing plants from inside to outside.

1 Like

I up potted about half a dozen rooted cuttings this weekend and have started to slowly transition them to sun. They are all hanging out on the side of the house where they are in full shade. Next weekend I’ll put them somewhere they can get some late afternoon sun.

Desert King roots (DE media)

Desert King roots (fig-pop)

9 Likes

Thats exactly what I did last year and will do the same this year.

1 Like

Here is another update 04-28-2019 after about an month please look pictures posted on March 23rd for comparison. I am so glad that I put my figs out in March now these are growing like crazy. These are almost one month ahead of last year. What it mean that I will get ripe figs earlier this year.

10 Likes

Did you put your figs outside Tony?

I brought mine outside about 2 weeks ago. It got down to 29 degrees one night and about 1/3 got tip cold damaged but they are putting out new buds. Unpredictable weather.

Tony

Weather is strange these days and I am sure you removed the damaged tips ?

I sniped them off. Are you doing any grafting yet?

1 Like

I was out of country for last three weeks and our weather got down to lower 40’s recently, day after tomorrow weather is looking very good for next 10 days and then I will do. My rootstock is very thin and I was holding a little bit too for this reason.

1 Like

I moved out half of my cuttings on April 30th. These will stay under a shady tree for about a week and will get little bit of sun everyday before up potting.

6 Likes

Wow Naeem… you can start a fig nursery business :blush:

4 Likes

Did some grafting on April 30th and two of three Girardi is already breaking buds out of para film.
I do not know if this is just scion or graft took. While Pears, Apples, Persimmon showing no sign after five day. I know it is too early but this is all kind of new for me.

1 Like

Mulberry grafts are fairly easy take so you are good there.

1 Like

Here are my figs recovered from tips burn after a late Frost down to 29F three weeks or so ago.

4 Likes

These are looking very good.

Here is an update today May 24th. Some of the breba getting good size.

10 Likes

Those are beautiful figs. Both the plants and fruit. I hope you get a nice crop…!!

4 Likes

I will freeze some of the extra figs for later use this year.

2 Likes

I did freeze some last year and still eating those. Those are about 70% good as compare to fresh. Still pretty good as compare to dried figs which I never liked.

4 Likes