"UpDated" 2018-19 Figs Cuttings Rooting Propagating Experiment in Coco Coir Vs Perlite Vs Sphagnum moss Vs Pro mix HP Vs 3-1-1 Mix

I am just the opposite. I love good, dried figs. I only like a few fresh fig varieties that are sweet and have “figgy” taste to it.

Some fresh figs have that odd taste that is hard to describe. Such taste turns me and most of my friends off. Some were store bought fresh figs. Some were my own. That’s one reason I never buy fresh figs from stores again.

Your figs look great. What do you fertilize your plants with?

1 Like

We like dried figs since it concentrates the flavor but again fresh are good also. I lost all my chicago hardy figs in the drought but for fresh figs i prefer them. The brown turkey laughed at the drought and set a larger than normal crop. Reason tells me brown turkey should be all i grow.

Yup, I like CH taste. If you want to try CH again, I will get you some wood.

I believe there quite a few Brown Turkey variations. Not sure if all are good.

1 Like

Thank you for the offer @mamuang it will not be this years project but i may take you up on that next year.

1 Like

Beautiful plants and fruit too! What varieties are they?

1 Like

I never had a dried fig or a frozen fig as well, and as far as a fresh fig this is the only fresh figs I have eaten if this counts buying figs from the farmers market while in vacations in Mexico

6 Likes

Thanks these are about 100 plus varieties.

Thanks I apply Osmocote plus 15-9-12 two scoop for every five gallon pot and little more to bigger pots once a year.

Thank you. I did Osmocote Plus, too.l, but may not be enough. Yours definitely look fantastic

Today 06-01-2019 I did up potting 47 cutting about 30 or so still left. From 4x9 tree pot to 5 gallons.
My favorite potting mix is 3-1-1 (Pine bark fine - Organic potting mix - Perlite ).

6 Likes

Nice, those look great. Where do you get your bark? Is it just pine bark? I thought about making a mix, but can’t find bark I like.

I had rooted about 16 cuttings (all had good size roots and leaves), but most of them died when I potted them up. I rooted most of them in DE and 2 of them in Pro Mix HP. I potted them up into 5 gallon fabric pots filled with Pro Mix. The 2 I rooted in pro mix are doing the best. I think part of my failure was that the cuttings were outside during an unusually long period of cold rain and the ones in DE started to get green mold in the bottom of the cups. I watered with some hydrogen peroxide to try and save some of them, but it didn’t help much.

I ordered my cuttings from figaholics and got some from @Drew51 (along with some good advice). I think I have a survivor from each of the 3 varieties I got from Drew. And I have more cuttings in the fridge from figaholics (they were so big I had to cut most in half), so I will try again in a week or so…

Any tips for potting them up? Do you put them in full sun immediately or leave them in the shade for a bit to help with transplant shock? Also, how often do you water them once they are potted up?

2 Likes

Every method will not work in every zone, if you root outside I think your best option is Pro Mix HP for your zone.

You will not find this at big box store, I buy from local Nursery and it could be pine bark fine, or pine mark mini nuggets.

1 Like

I like to up pot my cutting when these look like this or when root ball stays in one piece when you pulled out. Please look picture below.

I leave my cuttings under a shady tree for about 7 to 10 days and let sunlight hit in the morning or evening about an hour. If you put in direct sunlight you will loose all growth.

1 Like

I water a little bit when I up pot you need to make moist only roots not the whole media. I do this for about a week and by that time plant is establish and water regularly. I hope I answered all of your questions if still anything left please ask or point me towards it.

1 Like

I think a problem that many people have when up-potting from DE to another medium is that the new medium is too dense. While all my cuttings made the transition, it wasn’t easy and I wouldn’t say that they flourished. Most eventually lost all their leaves, but thankfully they have sprouted new leaves. Some advice I saw was to make the new medium perlite heavy (~50%). The next up-pot can have less perlite. I have a few cuttings still in DE and I’m going to give this a shot.

2 Likes

Just a question for you guys. Was at the local hardware store today and found this grower’s mix and wanted your opinion. Thinking about using this as a base for all purpose potting mix and adding maybe more perlite, and maybe more peat or coir.

Landscape & Growers Mix - 70% Pine Fines 1", 15% Sphagnum Peat,10% Perlite, & 5% Sand

It’s a nice loose mix but very little perlite in it. I guess it would need less though because of the sand/pine bark?

2 Likes

With your climate I believe you do not need add any more perlite. I add one part Perlite because we gets over 40 inches of rain and our weather is not hot like yours.

2 Likes

Naeem,
Could you please take a picture of a bag of pine fine?

HD or Lowe here do not carry pine fine. They carry pine bark mulch which is coarse. i have never see pine fine sold at any nurseries or store that I have visited.

2 Likes

You will not find this stuff at big box stores.
I do not have a picture of the bag because I bought loose this year. Here is the link for the local company

https://alllandscapesupply.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=88

Basically it is 80 to 90 percent bark and about 10% wood very fine and serve the purpose well for me.
If you can find pine mini nuggets that will do the same thing.

1 Like