US just finished wettest 12 months in history

Here in S. Indiana, the 2019 total rainfall so far is at 79.9 inches, with a 1 day record set on June 15 of 15.5 inches. The yearly rainfall average since 2010 has been 116.4, so that will be passed soon. With daytime temps running consistently around 90, the humidity level is like a swamp, hard to work outside long. It’s an off year for fruit, so I only have a few dozen Honeycrisp to worry about, I feel for those getting real crops drowned out, whew.

2 Likes

Really, that’s amazing. Do you have any locations and yearly totals? I won’t have thought that possible in Indiana where long term averages can’t be over 50 inches.

2 Likes

Darn, it’s a pain to try to get annual rainfall history from a search. I also find it beyond amazing that S. Indiana has gotten over 100 inches of rain annually for 8 consecutive years without it being a national story that would easily come up in a search. I would expect epic flooding- I assume most farming would be impossible as soil would constantly be saturated with very few blue-sky days with good light.

2 Likes

Yearly rainfall average 116 inches in Indiana? Not unless your rain gauge is under the drip of a roof or something.

I think only a few small parts of Hawaii are the only areas in the United States with averages over 100 inches. I could be mistaken…maybe western slope of some mountain somewhere or in the southern coast of Alaska.

Where did you find that statistic? I’m curious.

3 Likes

Right. A few very isolated (lucky or unlucky) locations may have gotten 100 inches since last year broke records.

But, there are no AVERAGES that high. Most of Kentucky averages from 40 to 50 inches. Indiana is similar. Certain spots along the Ohio River might average over 50 inches.

1 Like

He is not claiming that is the historic average, only in the last 8 years with the very specific number of 116.4, which suggests he’s quoting actual statistics.

It certainly jolts journalistic sensibility and I’d give odds on a bet that the statistic is based on error, but I’ve been wrong about subjects I felt certain of before so I won’t use the word impossible here.

2 Likes

According to NOAA, the average annual rainfall since 2010 in Indiana is a tad over 44".

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/statewide/time-series/12/pcp/12/5/2010-2019?base_prd=true&firstbaseyear=2010&lastbaseyear=2018&trend=true&trend_base=10&firsttrendyear=1895&lasttrendyear=2019

That’d be almost 112cm. Are you sure you’re quoting rainfall in inches?

3 Likes

Long term ave is 39.7 and last yr 54.7. Every yr in that period has been above average. We are due for some dry yrs.

2 Likes

Yup, lost a peach tree, along with several perennials- two weeks behind here,due to cold, wet spring. Add to that,the deer,who had a pretty rough winter, and it hasnt been a great start.

3 Likes

A lot of rain predicted to south US…

2 Likes

2 Likes

Some info here but of course rainfall amount can vary locally especially in areas with local thunderstorms:
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/divisional/time-series/3004/pcp/ytd/12/1895-2014?base_prd=true&firstbaseyear=1895&lastbaseyear=2013

Southwest,South Central and South West Indiana shows annual rainfall in inches fro 40s to 60s over the past 10 years.

Coastal NY, where I am, shows 60 inches for 2018. That’s a high for the last 10 years. Low was 35. Low since 1900 was 28.5 in 1965. High since 1900 was 62.4 in 1983.

1 Like

Getting ready to pick blueberries. Although we had plenty of rain in 2018 my in-ground blueberries where small. This year with again plenty of rain and cloudy weather, they are very large. I don’t know why. Possibly temperature or fertilizer. What else could it be?

1 Like

It was a very wet (and very cold) winter here, spring has been wet and but was very warm and dry in May, but June was a bit wetter. So far, this summer has been warmer and drier on average.

The effect on my fruit plants and trees has been a boon for my brambles, they have blown up in growth, the trees made it through the winter, but can’t evaluate the effect on the fruit as they’re just now starting to produce.

But, I’m still puzzled why all of my peaches were virtually bereft of blooms this year, considering we didn’t have our typical late bloom killing freezes.

1 Like

Do you have any earlier types like Patriot and Duke? Those have been bearing for me for the last week. Of course, I get more heat being in Carmel.

1 Like

No, mine are mid season and late. Blue Crop will be the first and picked this coming week.

1 Like

I usually rely on the report from our Regional Airport, roughly a mile from me. I get a quick answer there for rainfall, temps, wind and humidity, along with the annual stats more easily found than on NOAA. My eyes have a hard time with the NOAA charts. Evansville Regional Airport Rainfall Forecast, IN 47725 - WillyWeather

1 Like

My visits here are usually late night and tired, I hope I haven’t put up false stats. My apologies if so. I’ll take another look at different sources. What do most consider the best source for annual stats?

1 Like

With a longer search I’m finding several different answers, but nearly all around 45". The Regional Airport keeps records that are easy for me to access and read, but useless if wrong, ha ha. It’s late for me, will check the source and possibly be eating crow for that post!

1 Like

In Washington State,parts of the Olympic Peninsula,like the Hoh Rain Forest,average about 144 inches a year.That’s not some place I’d probably like to live.bb

2 Likes