Using pawpaws

Neal,
I got a total of 7 paw paw trees and three of them from your collection. One is from Tyler Halvin, a Mango, a Sunflower, and a Lehman. They are fairly large fruits. I skinned the fruits and wrapped each one with plastic food wrap and freezed them for later use. They still taste good like pawpaw popcicles.

Tony

4 Likes

Tony,
That is absolutely the easiest way to store them. Good going, good growing.
Neal

3 Likes

I know this is an old post and you may have heard about this since 2015, but this place in Warwick grows excellent pawpaws.

https://www.rockypointblueberries.com/styled-6/page6.html

1 Like

Thanks Joe! Iā€™ve never had a pawpaw

If you go to Warwick I recommend getting there 15 to 30 minutes before they open to make sure you get some. Last year I was a little ā€œlateā€ and got there about 5 minutes early on the day that I was able to make the trip. A few people before me got the last of the fresh fruit, the person right before me got the last of the frozen pulp. Thanks to @Barkslip I know of a place to order them online, the web site is below. My order from Red Fern Farm ships out on Monday. Iā€™ll find out how good it is next week. You have to call to place an order for paw paws. Price is $5/pound plus $15 for shipping up to 15 pounds.

http://www.redfernfarm.com/

2 Likes

@Barkslip

Unfortunately, the pawpaws I got from Red Fern Farm didnā€™t arrive in good shape. Iā€™ve ordered from Integration Acres before and they actually did a good job with packing and with selecting fruits suitable for shipping. At least one of the fruits that I got is rancid. Not overripe, I know enough about paw paws to know the difference. Overripe pawpaws have their own unique flavor, which I donā€™t prefer but I can see how some do. At least one of these is just spoiled. Itā€™s too bad. Iā€™m sure they have great paw paws, and they seem very nice, but I donā€™t think that they have this part of the business down to a science yet.

Below is a picture of them, alongside a Kieffer Keitt mango that I bought today. All of the pawpaws including a few good ones (not pictured) weighed in at exactly 5 pounds. Integration Acres gave me a bit extra when I ordered from them.

I mentioned these guys to @mrsg47, so I need to post this here. Sheā€™d be better off trying Rocky Point Farm in Warwick this October. Thatā€™s a surer thing, as long as she gets there in time to be able to buy it.

Edit: Theyā€™re issuing a full refund. Itā€™s a shame, but these are hard fruits to ship. This is a big part of why you donā€™t see the fruit in the supermarket.

2 Likes

Real sorry to see that, Joe. Iā€™ve emailed Tom.

Thanks,

Dax

Iā€™ve been working with Kathy and emailed her about it. Iā€™ve had 4 of them, 2 overripe and 2 about how I like it. I just opened up a 5th for my kid thatā€™s perfect (a little under how I like it) and advised the wife who is feeding the kid to only give a little bit just to be safe with regards to the toxins that are found in the pawpaw.

The ones that were opened up/smashed in the mail all wound up getting tossed. Even the ones that looked like they are probably OK had off flavors to them. The others on that plate are fine. I know itā€™s a hard fruit to ship. Part of this is probably on the post office, but part of it has to be how theyā€™re doing this. Integration Acres proves that you can successfully ship pawpaw. They both used Priority Mail.

1 Like

Well darnit. Thatā€™s all I can say.

All the best,

Dax

It was worth a shot. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll figure it out if they donā€™t quit doing this. Part of it is how you pack it, and they did seem to put some good effort into protecting the fruit, and part of it is selecting fruit thatā€™s a little under-ripe. I think they probably put some fully ripe fruit in there and then the post office smashed the box around some.

Very visible to my eye, Joe.

Thanks again. Best regards,

Dax

A week later, I used the last of the paw paws today. One of them came here hard as a rock. It was finally soft last night but I left it out overnight and ate it today. It was perfect. I emailed Kathy about that.

1 Like

Beerā€¦ i already read about it!

2 Likes

The local distillery here is making a drink where they are hanging pawpaws (and native persimmons) in the still.

They might be hitting me up for some pawpaws this fall, I told them I usually have extras.

3 Likes

This year i will have my first pawpaw fruits. I count 7, but iā€™m planting more trees of several varieties, so i will have a lot of fruits next yearsā€¦ iā€™m planing to sell to local markets and to let it know to beer makersā€¦ :blush:

3 Likes
3 Likes
9 Likes

Thanks for posting. They look delicious.

1 Like

I have begun incorporating my frozen pawpaw pulp into my smoothies as a banana substitute.

The current recipe is as follows (estimated quantities):

1/4 cup pawpaw pulp, frozen (Check woods or orchard)
1/4 cup Maine blueberries, frozen (Maine, or Target)
1 tsp Amazing Grass Green Superfood (Amazon)
2 tsp ground flax seed (Walmart or garden)
Dash of cinnamon
1/3 cup yogurt (easy DIY in pressure cooker)
2 tbsp nut butter or nuts (Almond or walnut works well)
1 cup milk (almond or coconut milk works well too)
Drop of vanilla
1 tsp chia seeds (Aldi)

Adjust milk amount as needed if the mix is too thick or thin.

3 Likes