Using the meat in our orchards

CCI makes a nice selection of subsonic .22 rounds. You can find them at Midway USA online. Cabela’s and Academy sell a few SS rounds.

1 Like

Ya I guess they do. I googled them and got this. I always saw shorts in store. It didn’t matter to me because my rifle shoots both.

http://www.bigcountrysportinggoods.com/cci-22-cb-long-ammo-per-100-38/

Printer Friendly
@J.D here’s one that might work in semi auto
https://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=960

Here’s a video comparison for noise compared to a pellet gun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B--ZzuG3FF8

not sure. they have less powder so maybe not.

In the link I posted just above the video link it has a note at the bottom that says: These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however manual cycling of the action may be required.
The printer friendly link has a note for the shorts saying the will not work in semi auto.

1 Like

Guess I’ll grab a box and try them out. I like the idea of a quieter round when shooting critters around my place, even if I have to load them one round at a time,

2 Likes

bought a bolt action .22 marlin 6 months ago for $150. will shoot .22 short , .22 long and .22 long rifle. :wink:

Usually bolt action will shoot short, long, or long rifle. They print it on the barrel.
I was just researching my .22 and found this video of it. What I thought was neat is this was my dads gun, and in the comments they are all talking how their dads and grandfathers handed the gun down. Another thing I thought was neat is it was manufactured from 1936 to 63. I was born in 63, so this gun is probably older than me. I will look further into dating it. I guess that explains why it’s a gun handed down. I’ll hang onto this one as I have. My gun also has the magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMTqqWdvWMM

2 Likes

@moose71 and @Johnnysapples the .22 short is a great suggestion for @Katie_didnt_Z4b to use and I certainly keep them around and often use them in my revolver. But they are sort of a pain in the rear to try and load them individually into the semi-auto rifles and pistols-though I have at times, especially if I shoot after dark (frogs, opossums, etc). The .22 subsonics are a little easier and I have a few boxes of them, but in all my guns
(and to answer @J.D 's question) they do NOT cycle the gun (pistol or rifle). But it is still a lot easier to just rack the gun again and feed another subsonic in than it is to try and wriggle a .22 short into semi autos. The other problem I have with both rounds is that I like to keep my scope super-accurate, and at very much distance at all the subsonics and the shorts both drop faster and farther than regular rounds and I’m not always good enough to manually adjust for that (ie aiming high).

@subdood_ky_z6b You can never, IMHO, ever go wrong with any CCI ammo and I do like their subsonics (and short, for that matter). But I like a subsonic that I bet you and others here will disagree with…I actually like the Aguila. I know…its made in Mexico and its “cheap”. I wouldn’t take it on a survival situation and concede it isn’t the highest quality stuff out there. But they make some really fun rounds. For example, they have that supermaximum rounds that are the fastest .22 ammo made (1700 fps!!!). THey make the case longer and the bullet smaller (just 30 grains) so it doesn’t have the most knock down, but it is still fun and when it goes off it sounds like a much higher caliber than .22 thanks to the extra powder. They also have one that is comparable to the Remington Viper rounds (one of my all-time fav .22 rounds). Last but not least, while I’m sure we can all agree that a .22 would be our last choice for home defense, if its all you had Aquilla makes a 40 grain hollowpoint with 1470 fps that would be the most powerful .22 on the market (again, I’m not advocating .22 for self defense!!! Just saying if it was all you had or as an extra hide gun, I like that they make those rounds.

OK, I guess you can tell I really love .22’s in general. But I’m getting off thread a little (maybe) so I 'll stop there!

OH, @J.D I have 2 10-22’s myself and as I said above, neither the subsonics nor the shorts will cycle them. But the subsonics can be manually fed, whereas the shorts have to be awkwardly put in one at a time while you hold the slide back-tricky.

5 Likes

i have 2 bolt action marlins. 1 in .22 long rifle the other in .22 magnum. both are highly accurate. i use the reg .22 for squirrels and small game like rabbits and the .22 mag for fox, coyotes and raccoons that need a little more punch and longer range shots. 2 years ago i shot a coyote in the back field. he was the one killing my neighbors chickens. i rested on a tree branch, held the cross hairs just over his shoulders and fired. he dropped in his tracks. paced it off and it was 186 yrs! .22mag w/ 30grn hornady vmax did its job! could have used my AR 15 but didn’t want to scare the neighbors. :wink:

1 Like

You are a man after my own heart. I am constantly trying to convince people that .22’s (let alone .22 mags) are much more capable of kills -including long distance kills- than most people give them credit for. Your coyote shot is a perfect example. ANd isn’t it a great feeling to see one drop like that. I recently had a shot on a particular bird (better not say which kind) that causes all kinds of grief around here. Like you, I stabilized my rifle on some shooting sticks and took a shot that to be honest was pretty much a hail Mary! ha. And it was probably luck as much as skill, but much to my amazement that thing droped out of that 150 foot tree like a stone. It’s a great feeling!!! So yea…22’s are GREAT!!!

2 Likes

I killed a pigeon once with a 22 that had iron sights. It a very long ways. I put the sights on him and then raised it up so half the barrel was in the back sight. Shoot enough and lucky things happen sometimes. He tasted good.

5 Likes

the crows really catch hell here! they are always trying to get my fruit! a lady that walks my street early in the am, drops bread crumbs in the road in front of my house. well its attracted hoards of crows. i finally put a sign out telling her that i was shooting the crows she was feeding. she doesn’t do it anymore. :wink:

1 Like

my grandfather used to poach deer with a single shot .22. used to shoot them right behind the ear w/ iron sights! seen him shoot hand thrown clay targets out of the air with that old winchester!

2 Likes

I’ve seen Aguila on Academy’s site, but never bought any. I was wondering how they shoot. I have all kinds of .22 ammo- Winchester, Remington and CCI but can’t say what my favorite, haven’t shot enough I guess. But, I do like how Winchester Super-X high velocity rounds shoot through my Marlin 795. CCI Mini-Mags are a good round too.

A .22 probably isn’t the best home/self defense round, but we do have an old .22 revolver that can be used if need be. But, I’d rather have my 9mm in such situations.

Regarding .22 mag’s my wife’s cousin’s family friend has used them to deer hunt, but he must a pretty good shot to use that round.

I bought some 55 grain .223 Vmax for coyotes, but have yet to use it on any. They’re around here, sometimes you can hear them at night howling up a storm. I worry about our old dog as they sound like they get really close and they could make short work of him. I guess he knows better to mess with them. Of course they’re nowhere to be found during the day.

The 22 CB are very quiet ,could be shot out of a window in another room ,and no one in the house would suspect a gun was shot.
Sound like you dropped a book on the floor / or spit real loud.
A well placed shot could drop a deer . Not recommended . Not legal .
People use them to poach with .
Should not be used in a populated area.
They are best used in a single shot / bolt / pump type rifle
Can be feed through a semi automatic one at a time , may jam?
Some coon hunters around here use these air rifles to take coons with out waking up the neibours 22 or 25 cal. Coons are tough.

they do the job but if you want the pelt, the vmax bullets make a huuge hole coming out! :wink:

1 Like

i have a 1200fps gamo. is powerful but very inaccurate even with the scope. I’ve tried every type of pellet and i still have a hard time hitting a crow at 25 yards with it.

Don’t know about gamo ?
A coworker , who is a long range marksman , and builds his own rifles showed me his Benjamin , (that he carrys in his pickup ) showed me with one shot the accuracy and stelth of the 22cal. Air rifle
I was impressed , but the price stopped me.
That’s a lot for a air rifle , and I have other suitable rifles for my needs.
Mostly 22lr for pests.
The 177cal s are faster ,make that "crack " in the air. … So louder than the 22/–25 cal. Air rifles

1 Like

To be honest, I’m a bit reluctant to off coyotes as they are one of the main predators of deer. Judging by how many deer I’ve already seen this winter, it’s looking like I’ll have to make some kind of protection/deterrent plans for my trees and gardens this year.

I think these Vmax have a muzzle velocity of about 3200fps, so combined with that tip, it would for sure leave a mark!

1 Like