Varieties for Midlothian, VA

Anyone have experience growing the following varieties in Richmond, VA or similar hot humid climate?

ADAMS PEARMAIN
BLACKTWIG
CENTENIAL APPLE
HOOPLES OF Antique Gold
LADY
REINE DE REINETTE
KARMIJN DE SONNAVILLE
NEWTOWN PIPPIN

Lady, Hooples, and Newtown should do alright for you.

Karmijn is more of a zone 6 or cooler apple. It does not like the humid heat.

Thanks Matt! I know Scott has had success with Hooples, RDR, in MD, but I think Richmond has even more humidity.

Newtown might need an elevated planting; full sun; and pampering, but it should hold promise neverthless. The most famous corruption of its name - Albemarle Pippin - is a testiment to how well the apple performs in the Virginia foothills.

I have eaten delicious Newtown and Lady apples grown on z7a Maryland piedmont (at Distillery Lane Ciderworks near Burkittsville). These two are truly antique apples, and have that heirloom flavor. Lady is one of the oldest apple cultivars known to man. Lady has an austere mildly tart taste. Newtown has a unique “piney” taste. It’s like a mild, more earthy Granny Smith. Warning: they are not particularly sweet or richly flavored. Their flavor is more sour and austere as compared to more modern cv.s.

These apples are usually available for purchase at Distillery Lane on October weekends. Call them to confirm before making the trip if interested. Sometimes it’s better to taste an apple before planting an apple, if possible.

1 Like

Here is my ranking from easiest to most difficult. Leaving out Lady which I never grew but I think its pretty easy.

BLACKTWIG
REINE DE REINETTE
HOOPLES OF Antique Gold
CENTENIAL APPLE
NEWTOWN PIPPIN
ADAMS PEARMAIN
KARMIJN DE SONNAVILLE

The only one I would definitely avoid is Karmijn. Adams Pearmain is prone to rot but I still get apples from it.

1 Like

Thanks for your insight!

Thanks Matt!

Oh DEER! My daughter lives in Midlothian . . . and can barely keep the non-fruiting plants in her yard because of the deer population. I applaud you for hanging onto your pears and apples! :crazy_face: