Verry Cherry plums

Nice. Has it made fruit yet? Also, how long did you cold stratify the seeds before planting?

1 Like

My Verry Cherry plum seedling had no fruit yet. The seeds was seedling in Fall season outside through Winter . So I think at least 90 days cold stratified for my seedling. Sorry for late response @Dale_H. Vincent.

4 Likes

I had 6 seedlings sprout after 90 days of cold in the fridge.

2 Likes

Curious to know what the fruit may be.

1 Like

My Verry Cherry plum seedling.

Out of the dozen or so of seeds I had, only 3 grew strong plants.

4 Likes

Very cherry plum seedling updating.
It’ve been about 3 years since seedling my very cherry plum tree blooming first time in this Spring. (April 7.2021)

12 Likes

My Verry cherry plum seedling has some fruitlets. May.1.2021

11 Likes

Congratulations! This is a great experiment. It will probably be more plum-like assuming the orchard pollinated with prunus salicina?

You can always pollinate with cherries. You also can do what Burbank did and graft first year seedlings onto the tops of trees to sample fruit a year later.

Thanks for sharing this, maybe I will try this too!

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

3 Likes

@murky. I am so happy because Candy heart and Sugar twist seem are not performing well in our weather. Very cherry seedling do really well and will have a lot of fruits in later years for sure. Hopefully I can taste a couple of its fruits in this Summer. Below the picture of my very cherry seedling 5.1st.21

8 Likes

Very interesting experiment. The foliage indicates it took after prunus salicina.

3 Likes

I also started some pixie sweets from seed this year so we’ll see. Ihope they work out.

@Vincent_8B let us know how yours turn out.

1 Like

Yes Vincent, please update us on what they look like now.

1 Like

Actually all little fruitlets dropped all. No fruit developed yet. But the tree is still too young to carry fruit. Hopefully next year be better. Thank you for all interesting, will keep updating in next season. Mike @speedster1 and Dave @hikeike .

8 Likes

Bummer, next year sounds good.

1 Like

Unfortunately the patent office does not dedicate any resources to verifying the claims made about the pedigree of plants being patented. The only thing we can know from the claim that it is (Prunus salicina × Prunus avium) × Prunus avium is that this is the pedigree the breeder believes to be correct. In fact it appears that in both generations P. avium was used as the pollen parent only and was never a seed parent so it’s very probable that the resulting patented tree is actually just a pure P. salicina.

A great example of this is the patented ×Echibeckia cultivars being sold in recent years (purported Rudbeckia × Echinacea hybrids). It turns out they are actually just pure Rudbeckia which isn’t surprising because even within the genus, hybrids are almost non-existent.

When someone really wants something to be true they can overlook obvious details such as when hybridization attempts producing offspring resembling only one parent, but still get labeled as hybrid despite the morphology disagreeing.

All this said; it is worth noting that there have been cases of plant hybrids recieving small fragments of dNA from the intended pollen parent even though the cross essentially failed and resulted in non-hybrid offspring.

5 Likes

My Very cherry plum seedling. 4.17.22

12 Likes

Looking good but still no fruit for this year. 5.6th.22

5 Likes

Vince any updates on your very cherry seedlings fruitlets this year? I grafted the scion and they are all very vigorous. I think it might fruit for me next year.

1 Like