Wash Surround Off Apples?

Has anyone ever picked Apples treated with Surround from a PYO orchard?

I’m wondering how customers would react to the white residue and perhaps confuse it with some type of synthetic pesticide.

I see a lot of sunburn on apples and Surround would help and even lower the temperature of the trees slightly, but I’m afraid customers picking apples may not accept it.

1 Like

I’m not sure about their reaction but you bring up a good point. A small information sheet when they arrive might help especially if you explain that surround is safe and actually allows you to reduce pesticide usage.

2 Likes

Last time we went peach picking, PYO place had early pear varieties ready for picking. They had just a teeny bit of white residue on them. Could’ve been washed off Surround or any other chemical spray. I think people get put off by seeing that on the fruit. Most people would prefer non organic fruit sprayed with something you can’t see than actually see stuff sprayed on fruit even if it’s organic. People here might not feel that way about it as knowledge about something makes you more likely to accept it.

1 Like

Out of sight, out of mind

2 Likes

I sprayed my peaches with Surround. I had to repeat myself explaining to everyone I gave my peaches to ( for free) what that white stuff was.

I think for general public, it would be a turn off if they are not made aware of what Surround is.

You can provide an individual info sheet like Bill said or create a sign big enough to catch people’s eyes telling the public what the white residue on your apples is, why you use it and that it is safe. I think most people would understand and even appreciate your organic-leaning approach. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

I agree with the others- Surround is not attractive to look at, and I hate to handle fruit that’s been coated with it. I’d need some education if I weren’t already aware of it, and even then I’d likely be a little less attracted to it.

4 Likes

I give my fruit quick wash and then go ahead and eat it. There is a little surround residue remaining but I assume both surround and worms would not harm you but I prefer to consume a little powder.

1 Like

Thank you all for the comments.

I don’t believe my customers will accept the residue.

2 Likes