'Washington' Navel Oranges

Thanks! Your tree looks great and should be a winner for you for years to come. For me, WN is a must have tree. I tried to build my citrus collection around its harvest time.

1 Like

The new Sunset Western Garden Book of Edibles gave me a nod on p. 161.

I can find no record of apples being tried in the lowlands all the way back to the late 1800’s. All they tried was citrus.

It could be that the culture was not well understood, and if left to themselves the trees take on a horrible unproductive form.

1 Like

@applenut,

1 Like

Looks like it has! Took out a ton of growth touching the ground. The fruit on them will rot away so no point keeping them!

1 Like

Got a small harvest after the pruning. I lost a ton of fruits when I watered deeply after a long break over the summer. They all split, duh!

5 Likes

Nice.
I’m ready any day now to start picking a few of mine.

It is great to see other people’s trees and fruit and it has been great to have had the opportunity to have been invited into yours.
Here is a photo of my 4 year old Washington navel. Being in the Southern Hemisphere our oranges are 5-6 months before they ripen.
You may wonder what is covering the fruit. We have an extremely damaging fruit fly here and it inhabits much of the country and so I wrap throw away nylon socks around the fruit to protect it

Mick

4 Likes

The fragrance from the bountiful blooms is intoxicating. I’ve had to close the patio door next to it in the evenings!

5 Likes

I have grown ‘Washington’ at several home sites, as it is the pride of my ancestry. My Aunt, Margaret Finch (b. 1921) was under the part-time employ of the Citrus Research Station as a taster of Orange cultivars because she never failed in differentiation of Washington from other Orange cultivars. The original ‘Washington’ graft was supplied to my great-grandfather’s cousin, Howard Frost.

2 Likes

This year seems particularly heavy with the blooms. Should be a great crop, come next winter!

1 Like

It’s crazy out on the patio lately in the evening. Intoxicating is the right word! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And the taste of the harvested fruit is beyond compare… heavenly!
I will be harvesting mine in the next month or so… yum!

Mick

1 Like

Are you down under by any chance?

G’day Mate!
Sunny Brisbane half way up the east coast

Mick

1 Like

Explains the “off season” harvest! :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, the off season stuff sometimes gives me angst, having to to continually convert the seasons and the months, remembering that you guys are asleep in the middle of the day and so on.
Still it’s interesting to follow the discussions, realising that there is a sameness but also a difference in how we do things.
The one thing that amazes me is how so many of you have to do your farming in such awful cold. I am lucky that I am able to grow things all year without the pressure of having to get done by the first frost or whatever and that my bees can make honey 52 weeks a year.
Of course there are similar conditions here also and perhaps I am fortunate that I discovered the sub tropics but I am continually amazed by the pioneering spirit of those who live and work in such harsh conditions.

Mick

2 Likes

You’re probably giving us too much credit. I’m guessing most of us were born into these harsh conditions and just too unimaginative to move.

Luckily, not me. I should be gardening 12 months a year but like the previous poster, I’m too lazy!

Who is? LOL That made me laugh. :blush:
Allow that some of us hardcore growers DO grow stuff 52 weeks a year, indoor and out. Love it. And as I mentioned before, I’d rather work in 40 deg weather than 80 deg weather so I get the infrastructure work done in the winter and just spray & harvest in summer.

1 Like

I’d rather work in 80F weather with very low humidity than 40F weather with rain. :laughing:

2 Likes