Watering 1st Year Dormant Trees

How often and how much are you guys watering your in ground, dormant, spring planted trees? We are still experiencing drought conditions here in 6b Virginia and I’m not sure how much, if any to water them.
Thanks,
Nick

1 Like

If leaves have fully dropped, water is minimally needed. I would give them 5 gallons every 2 weeks just on principle. Don’t water just before an overnight freeze!

1 Like

Roots need to stay moist all the time. One good soaking should suffice before the usual wet winter here in Virginia. How much? Water it like you just planted it. Several gallons assuming you planted a bare root apple or 3 gallon potted one. Most roots will still be in the original planting hole. I assume you watered regularly while in leaf so shouldn’t need much watering to get the soil to normal moisture levels here in Virginia soils.

1 Like

Next 2 weeks it’s going to be in the 50’s during the day and between the teens and low 30’s at night. Should I water in the morning or just not water until I see a warmer night?This is the usual temps for our time of year.

1 Like

Yes I watered during the growing season. Here in the Shenandoah Valley we have not received much rain, and there are only a few showers in the forecast.

1 Like

low 30’s is okay, I avoid watering when below 25F.

1 Like

I never water in the autumn / winter / early spring. I’d think that you’d get enough rain / snow to keep ground damp.

2 Likes

I know its been dry in that area. I go up to Weyers Cave about twice a month for work and they were not as dry as further up the valley.

1 Like

Without leaves a tree in Virginia doesn’t need watering unless it’s just planted. But hey, it won’t hurt.

Here I’d water 2-3 times all winter because we often go months with zero ppt and we’re much warmer and lower humidity. If we get an occasional rain no water needed.

4 Likes

Actually if there’s poor drainage and the soil don’t perc…it could hurt.
Certainly good to give water to recently planted evergreen trees if it’s dry in fall.