Watermelon growing and Melon growing thread of 2018

My patch is done but I thought @thecityman would appreciate some company for his coyote misery last year.

Tony,
This is the last of the three melons on the driveway. 25lbs. All three were 35, 31 and 25 lbs sitting next to one another. They were all sweet with brix at 11. This one was picked last Sunday and cut up today.

We have been very happy with Crimson Sweet. Have @thecityman to thanks for his recommendation .

3 Likes

Dax- I’m glad the Blacktail Mountain was a success for you. Congratulations.

You’ll have to send me back some of those seeds.

2 Likes

For sure, Matt.

Diana rotted on me waiting for germination. Completely my fault.

Dax

1 Like

Hello! I am looking for Ineya melon seeds. Bought them from rareseeds but did not save seeds. Now they don`t sell them anymore. Do you have some seeds for sale? Location - Europe. I also have a lot of melon and watermelon seeds that I will not grow anymore, bought them from rareseeds. I can send them if anyone needs. Too many varieties. Better if you ask for any that you need and I will check if I have it.

1 Like

hey senga, i don’t have any ineya melon seeds left as i gave most of my seeds away this past fall. I grew ineya melons last year but didn’t have the chance to try any i imagine they would be comparable to collective farm woman as they are both from the same part of the world. The collective farm womans i grew were very delicious and had a pear like texture as well as a unique flavor for a melon. If you like those type of melons you will probably also like ginkaku melon from kitazawa seeds. It is very crispy and very sweet.

you can find collective farm woman seeds here at

you can find ginkaku melons seeds here

https://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_377-90.html

and if you also like watermelons i can recomend kaho watermelon from rareseeds

https://www.rareseeds.com/kaho-watermelon-/

I’ve grown alot of different melons and this selection has always been memorable to me. Another mention people seem to like for an orange cantaloupe is petite gris de rennes.

I wish i could be of more help, i wouldv’e gladly sent you some seeds.
Anyways i hope you find something you like.
In the future if you see something you like from the seeds or plants i grow don’t be afraid to ask as i will most likely share it with you.

1 Like

Anyone tried this? (Syringe, Brix, tape)
I purposely planted way more watermelons then we can use so I can give them away as gifts. But the only way I can tell if it’s ripeness is to cut it open, which makes it more difficult to give away.

1 Like

If you’re still looking, I have some that I’m happy to send you. They’re the ones from Rareseeds / Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company. I guess I have to wait until winter to plant, so they def won’t be used for a while!

Can anyone tell me why my watermelon looks like this? I’m new to gardening. Everything I’ve used is organic. A few weeks ago we had a terrible storm that did a number on my plants. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Has anyone tried growing melons vertically? What was your experience? I’m looking for a way to keep the deer off them and it’s easier to protect vertically.