Weed fabric under fruit trees

How many men to install it?

2 Likes

Quite apparent.

3 Likes

@mrsg47

JUST ME. Took a bunch of weekends over the summer and fall.

Other that the chain link fence around the perimeter and to drive the 3 1/2 inch trelis posts 2-3 feet into the ground, no one touches the orchard but me. Told you I was somewhat obsessive.

Mike

2 Likes

@Chikn

But the relief when its done. What a high.

Mike

1 Like

Detail oriented.

1 Like

Old thread, but I’m very curious how this turned out for you, @jxz7245. I have a similar situation, 400 trees in 200ft long rows, spaced 12ft apart. Which fabric did you purchase, how was the install, and how did it hold up?
Thank you!

1 Like

@PerryPiper, put the @ symbol in front of the name and i think it puts a notice on his page.

1 Like

Thanks other piper!

1 Like

Hey there,

It’s only been a year so far so it’s too early to tell. But so far, it’s great! I used dewitt sunbelt fabric, it doesn’t need to be buried and guaranteed for ten years. I used 3’ roll, one strip down each side of the tree for a total of 6’. It makes the orchard look much more professional and manicured.

The only problems I have is the staples frost heave and pop up a little bit, and also mowing over the edges sometimes, albeit infrequently, gets caught and tears. It’s important that it lays flat to avoid this.

Definitely worth doing but we will see how it does going forward. Only minimal weeds have come through but almost nothing. I recommend it. I use a four foot roll cut in half with a torch for berries and smaller bush fruits.

3 Likes

Torch ??

@Rahul1

Use a small torch to melt the ragged edges so they seal and don’t start to unravel.

I use a small cooking torch but you have to be careful. It does not take too much to get it melting. start from a distance and then s l o w l y come closer until you see an effect.

See link to torch below

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bonjour-reg-professional-cooking-torch/1013057451?skuId=13057451&&mrkgcl=609&mrkgadid=3253336631&rkg_id=0&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bakeware_local&product_id=13057451&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&adpos=1o2&creative=356064948679&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyKrxBRDHARIsAKCzn8xSPvjAfJ5q-zKX44f2zv75GcpVfL01nGHXMC75OQNngX3sPBwbO4UaAjeyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mike

Interesting

Any critters living under it? I may try this around little grafted pecans.

I typically use a hot knife from Harbor Freight instead of a torch. Found it a lot easier to control and it doesn’t melt too much and cause the fabric to bunch up like the torch can.

1 Like

I have used it for some years under apple trees 2 x 2 mts. Haven’t seen any rodent activity under it don’t know what is the result if the entire row is covered.

Thanks @MES111, @144. That was helpful.

We don’t use landscape fabric here. Have in the past, but weeds root down through it, and bermuda grass invades from above and below. Every time I’ve removed some, it looks like a desert or concrete parking lot underneath… no deep-cycling of nutrients from decomposing organic mulch by the worms and soil microherd.

1 Like

I am pretty sure some voles live under it, as my dogs like to try and dig through it sometimes so they must be smelling rodents. Haven’t noticed any tree damage from them so I don’t care, they were there before and I have tree guards

That’s right, the soil turns really hard

1 Like

Thank you for the update! I’m going to try it on a few rows this year to see how it does. I was thinking about getting one 6’ wide strip and making cut-ins for the trunks, instead of two separate strips. Maybe I’ll try a row with each technique.
I have aluminum window screens around each trunk so I’m not too worried about voles nibbling.

I avoided using weed fabric for a couple of years because of reading about the soil hardening etc until I saw an organic commercial farm using it successfully on full sized trees. It didn’t seem to inhibit any of their success in the long run, so I just decided to go for it. Maybe I’ll regret it later but at the scale of my orchard there is no other solution besides herbicide which I don’t want to use.