What are you planting during the 2016 season?

This is what I’ve ordered so far for 2016 season:

Two Candy Heart Pluerries.
One Indian Free Peach.
One Kristin Cherry.
One Marianna 2624 rootstock.
And one White Banking cherry.

Bonuses:
Two Raspberries.
One Jostaberry.

What is a white banking cherry

I cannot wait to see the fruit!

I have more room but 33 trees is enough for me. I am focusing on grafting pears and peaches. I will be plant one pear and one peach. I just can’t get enough peaches!

Oops! Nanking cherry, I mean.

My backyard looks like a nursery and my family thinks i’m nuts.

I’ll probably order some more stuff I don’t need…going to wait until these sites get update some…maybe late fall i’ll put an order in.

1 Like

2016? Hold the phone…

I’ve got the following on order from Big Horse Creek for Fall 2015 delivery:

-Lowland Raspberry apple of Lithuania on EMLA.111
-Henry Clay apple of Kentucky on B.9
-Myers Royal Limbertwig of Tennesee on B.9

Oh yeah!

I’m with Matt. After the “romance series” thread earlier this spring, I’ve now got a crimson passion and a Juliet bush cherry on order for fall.

1 Like

I bought apple scion wood from them Matt. They have a bunch of the older apples.

1 Like

Trying to decide if I like apples enough to buy an Anna and try to get it to fruit here next year. If that’s successful I know someone I can get golden Dorset scionwood from to try grafting onto it. Also plans for adding some tangerine and ponderosa lemon to the citrus I have so far, and maybe try to grow a key lime and kumquat from seed as well as pick up a Meyer lemon. If I can get the hang of cuttings propagate my Sunshine Blue to ensure better pollination, and root a pomegranate branch from a relative’s tree. If I see any nice fig varieties at the store in the future I may pick one or two up as well. So all in all not too much, just a bit here and a touch there.

Big Horse Creek had trouble filling my original order due to scarcity of scions and grafting takes this season. Nevertheless, they will be sending me an abridged order this October consisting of:

-Myers Royal Limbertwig on B.9
-Magnum Bonum on MM.111

I probably don’t have room for them,but ordered a Candy Heart,Laroda Plum and Black Beauty Mulberry from Peaceful Valley. Brady

I want to fill some gaps that I have in my small orchard. I’d like to have some of the proven varieties that everyone raves about. Like Flavor Supreme and Flavor grenade pluot, Honey Royale nectarine, and maybe something like Cot-N-Candy. Also like to add goldrush apple. It was the only apple graft that I had fail this past spring.

Matt this is great. Your collection is really growing quickly. How many acres do you have? There is plenty of space between your trees. Looks really good!

Hi Mrs G,

My wife and I have a small backyard in the city.

We also have 7.5 acres of land in the mountains. Most of it is old-growth forest, but one half acre is cleared. The previous owner was gonna put his house in this clearing, but now it serves as my orchard!

2 Likes

Sounds perfect to me!

We are putting in about 30 new trees in one of our orchard sections. More low chill cherries, transplanting more root suckers and grafting other experimental cherries to them. Otherwise we are putting our stonefruit rootstock in the ground now and will be grafting lots of plums, apricots, and experimental peaches that ive ordered in just so we can cut up. Sadly on this property we are maxing out now at near 200 trees…from here on out ill have to decide what varieties are working and whats not so I can make room for new stuff. Kinda sad we are full tho. Was alot of fun filling it.

1 Like

But Eric, 200 trees will eventually be a lot of product for your customers. Have you thought of eventually also doing CSA shares?

Also, the fun is not over! You will wind up playing with those trees and continue to trial new varieties, even if it’s through grafting to test smaller amounts of each one to start with. Your experimentation and quest for improvement won’t ever end. You’ll just have more mature resources to work with as you go.

1 Like

I order some nectarines and a galaxy peach so far…

We have never really liked the idea of CSA’s, cant tell ya exactly why. Currently sell very successfully here out of our property. We face a major road and are able to put out big banners that draw people in. But within a few years the production will overwhelm what demand there is in our little town so the plan is to take the show on the road to some of the major farmers markets in Phoenix and the surrounding areas. We already have a farmers market setup that we used when we participated and then ran the small market we had here locally for awhile. So the concept isnt foreign to us. Thankfully the demand for local grown organic fruit is HUGE here. And we are right on the outskirts of town so accessing that market is really do-able.

Its true what you say, there is a lifetime of discovery left. I guess that is what is so fascinating about growing fruit. Frustrating at times too but its better than going to bars for fun. :slight_smile:

2 Likes