What are your autumn flowers blooming?

I thought it was lizard tail too, but too loose looking. Google Lens to the rescue:

2 Likes

Mark, you got it right. Thanks. I read the wiki. It’s interesting that there is no where mentioned it is a edible. The leafs tasted like spinach and the roots can be cooked like potato

Found more articles about this plant.
Edible Uses
Root - raw or cooked[301
]. Boiled and eaten like potatoes[301
]. The raw root is crisp and pleasant when first put in the mouth, but soon degenerates into a mucilaginous mass described by some people as ‘like eating catarrh’ and in rather less flattering terms by others![K
]. When well baked, the root loses this quality and is quite pleasant to eat[K
].

Leaves - raw or cooked[301
]. Succulent and slightly mucilaginous[301
]. Eaten in salads or cooked as a potherb[301
]. Used as a spinach[264
].
Medicinal
The plant has been shown to have anti-inflammatory, anti-ulcer, and liver-protective effects[270
].

3 Likes

Interesting plant (now I want one!). I checked Plants for a Future and they have some edibility info (looks like your info is from there too), with a lot of interesting user comments at the bottom of the page:
https://pfaf.org/User/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Anredera+cordifolia

1 Like

I missed the comments part😤. Now I read through, very interesting medicinal properties, stoo bleeding and cure for sour throat! should I increase it to two pots next year and have them for dinner Every week😜.BTW if you want one,I can send you some ariel tunes

1 Like

Well . Not a flower.
But it is as pretty as one.
A grafted Burr oak in a pot. Showing it’s colors.!
The photo surely does not do it justice, strikingly beautiful.
It glows

8 Likes

It is as pretty as a flower

1 Like

Fall is for chrysanthemum!

4 Likes

Hi! You use both flowers for tea or just the first one? Thanks

Just the first. It’s grown for Chrysanthmum tea

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s good to know

What is the name of the 1st chrysanthemum that you use for tea?

1 Like

Hao(豪菊),traditional tea chrysanthemum from China. It is hardy in Chicago land which is a big plus for me

2 Likes

Calendulas are still blooming.
We had a light frost this morning.

6 Likes

I planted a bunch of toad lillies this spring and they just started blooming within the last two weeks. Also planted two reblooming iris last year and one finally bloomed last week.

6 Likes

The last official days of fall, and my Lonicera sempervirens is still spitting out a few blooms. We’ve had temps in the low 20s, even one night in the high teens. Color me impressed!

3 Likes

mine survived last winter for me. (zone 6b, Michigan)… Monardella survived as well.

The Prince’s Plume they sell is a great plant for me as well. I have a dry wall near my sidewalk and the Zauschneria look good spilling over it.

I’ve been eyeing their Red Birds in a Tree plant for the past couple years as well as a couple of the Texas Yuccas (but who knows how long these would take to get large enough to bloom for me)

@mamuang … how big are those toad lily flowers? I saw some in bloom at a nursery and while I loved how they look in catalogs, I was disappointed that the flowers themselves were half the size of a penny.

2 Likes

They are bigger than a half penny. Although they still consider small flowers but they are not tiny. When a lot of them bloom together, they look nice. I think they have several colors.

@Chills
The flowers of the toad lilies I have are small but not as small as the ones you saw.

1 Like