What are your Spring flowers blooming?

From Middle Tennessee today 02/15/2021… Blooms that I (HOPE) to show you in a month or so…

Rising Star Peach…

TifBlue Blueberry…

As you can see… winter is still hanging on pretty good here in TN.
These “buds” got a good coat of freezing rain… then we got about a half inch of sleet, and today is when we are supposed to get more accumulation, snow, ice, freezing rain…

I expect all these buds will be just fine… this is quite normal for us, Mid Feb.

TNHunter

9 Likes

Not quite blooming yet, but my Umbellularia californica (California bay laurel, aka Oregon myrtle) is getting ready!

This tree really takes the abuse well, it’s usually crawling with young primates (i.e. my kids, not pictured):

5 Likes

That is a very inviting climbing tree… if I was a kid it would be hard to resist for sure.

Georgeous too.

TNHunter

2 Likes

Also, the leaves are tasty in soups, and the nuts can be roasted for snacking or baking.

But some people get a headache from its terpenes (luckily no one in our family!). I’ve heard it’s hard to germinate its seeds, but there are at least 4 or 5 seedlings around the yard. Its own seedlings are basically the only thing that grows under it (apparently the terpenes give worse than a headache to competing seedlings).

1 Like

That’s a bush I’d like to grow if it would stand up to zone 6…but I already know it won’t.

2 Likes

This post got me thinking about this time last year. It was an early spring for me and I paniced for a month over my plum blossoms. This year there has been 2 ft of snow on the ground all month and 5-8 more expected thursday.

Early Spring it is 2020 - General Fruit Growing - Growing Fruit

Um, yeah, this is nasty weather. But, it will probably prove helpful to the fruit crop except for those “zone-pushing” cultivars. Callery pears were about to break dormancy mid January … but this cold has kept fruit from budding. Last year by the 20th of February around here, it was too late to collect scionwood. Not this year.

Happy to see all these nice pics!
All the fruit trees have already bloomed. Now the fruit is forming
Here are a few from today

Apricots on the way!

Nectarine from Feb 6th

7 Likes

Wow. Something to look forward to. I think I saw a palm tree. How easy do they grow indoor? I have a lot of date palms seeds that I want to grow

2 Likes

Nectarine Big Top :blush:

Cornelian cherry

Spring flowers

2 Likes

They are picky with out the proper lighting …but fun to grow. It’s a queen palm i’ve had for 3 years. It spends the winter out in the greenhouse.

1 Like

The osoberry bushes (Oemleria cerasiformis) are starting to flower – usually one of the first things in the early spring here, can’t wait until they ripen in early summer! :yum:

2 Likes

Is your greenhouse heated or is it more of a high tunnel?

Mrsg47
I bet it was winter jasmine. It sure was nice to see something in bloom.

I have never heard of this berry. Please tell me more. What does it look and taste like! thanks!

1 Like

It’s a native to the Pacific NW, sometimes used in landscaping but mostly just grows wild. It was traditionally used by native peoples, so another common name is “indian plum,” though it is not a true plum.

The fruit are usually small (1-3 cm) with a single large seed. Flavor varies a lot, I assume partially due to natural variability and partially due to soil and light conditions. Good specimens taste like a mild, sweet plum with an aftertaste of cucumber, while lesser ones taste astringent with a strong cucumber-skin flavor.

They aren’t my favorite wild fruit, but they are almost always the first to ripen, so I gladly snack on them while hiking.

I can’t find any photos that I’ve taken, though I’m sure I have, but here’s a photo I found online, which says it’s a creative commons attribution license, photo by Leslie Seaton:

Indian Plum Berry

4 Likes

The stems are spectacular with the dark purple berry. Thanks for the description!

1 Like

Our tulips start to show up :blush:

5 Likes

10 Likes

Small narcissus… this one is wild. I foud them on my orchard…

2 Likes