What are your summer flowers blooming?

I spent $50-60 on a couple of cannas from Costco for a couple of years. I was not careful in storing rhizomes this past winter. Only a few have survived.

I just put my in ground around Memerial Day. I hope some will come up. We have to treat them like dahlias, which I have not done a very good job, either.

I like orange or yellow cannas with variegated leaves. They are very eye catching.

1 Like

13 Likes

Love that color!

1 Like

Thanks I liked it when I bought it. An older lady asked permission today to photograph them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have this Magnolia grandiflora that produces large, fragrant blooms throughout the summer. It’s one of my favorite trees since it keeps its shiny, glistening leaves throughout winter when everything else looks dead and uninteresting.

9 Likes

Do you grow that palm without protection in zone 7a? It looks great.

Rosa rugosa “Sandy” (I have a white one too)

Rosa rugosa - unknown variety I found growing wild:

Blue and Yellow Flag

9 Likes

My pink, single layered peony in partial shade so they bloom later than those in sunny spots.

12 Likes

I can tell just looking at that magnolia that it couldn’t grow here.

The polar vortex killed my new yellow Butterflies mag

I think it’s rated for zone 6. It sometimes experiences temps below zero, but I don’t think anything under -5 degrees.

So gorgeous!

1 Like

Drew,
Can you please take a pic of the whole tree? How old is it and how tall it can grow?

Here ya go Tippy. It’s about 11 feet tall after over 15 years. They don’t grow very fast around here. It’s a very carefree evergreen, and I never have to trim it.

4 Likes

Thanks, Drew.

Wiki says it´s “commonly known as southern magnolia” so that ends my interest.

Your area must be 6b. Mine is 6a formerly 5b. It can be quite cold here. -10 or lower is not uncommon. (does not include a windchill factor as it does not affect plants.).

L9ve the shape and size of the flower.

1 Like

Maybe you will be in 6b in another 10 years with climate change! It used to be too cold to grow camellias and lagerstroemia here until recent years.

1 Like

7 Likes

Just remember the name of my clematis, General Sikorski.

10 Likes

Perennial geranium (cranesbill) :

Peony:

5 Likes

Forever susan lily

4 Likes

My lilies are no where near open and am supposed to be in a warmer zone!!!

1 Like