What are your summer flowers blooming?

It’s summer even in the U.P.! My Campfire rose stays pretty low but it does make it through the winter. The flowers don’t stay yellow for long in these hot days.

roseCampfire-070619-gf

5 Likes

This last one is exciting for me- i almost pulled it out this spring because it hadn’t bloomed. I planted from seed three years ago. I have been a poor college student for many years and starting from seed has been the best way for me to get ornamentals going! Less expensive but takes forever. This yellow flower is Russian yellow hollyhock. It is supposed to be a true perennial rather than biennial, and resistant to that blister rust that other hollyhocks get. It is six feet tall and had just begun to bloom.

9 Likes

Is that Oriental lily? Mine won’t bloom until later this month or Early August (a shadier ones).

Fat Chuck ate all nastutiums. Can’t plant them in the backyard (Fat Chuck’s roaming ground).

Is that a Holyhock? Beautiful yellow.

1 Like

It is an asiatic lily although I have lost any trace of which variety.

That’s too bad about the wood chuck. Will you evict him or let him stay? These are trailing nasturtium and theyre in a hanging basket. I didnt line the coir liner with plastic, a mistake I’ll never make again. The basket dries out too fast. :unamused: I don’t like high maintenace stuff but i did that to myself.

1 Like

I love foxglove. I did have to take my kid to the doctor after she ate some once. :grimacing: i pulled it out after that but she’s older now and I have some again. It’s my most anticipated bloom!

With all of those tube shaped flowers, you must have many happy bumble bees!

2 Likes

When my daughter was young, I avoided growing things like Angel’s Trumpet, lilies of the valley, Golen Chain tree,etc. because of their poisonous properties, too.

1 Like

That hollyhock color is very elegant. I thought asiatic lily flowers go upward, your one looks a lot like a edible oriental lily.

1 Like

:thinking: you’re probably right. I don’t know a lot about lilies, and here i was thinking asiatic and oriental were the same thing.

I don’t know a lot about lily either, I only know my asiatic lily flowers go upright, oriental lily flower kinda go sideways, and edibles (the roots bulbs) oriented lily flowers go downwards. I could be wrong though

1 Like

Have you tried to eat the edible varieties? If so how did you prepare them?

I was about to mention tha your “Asiatic” looks like an Oriental lily with a tall stem and multiple flowers hanging down. Oriental lilies are stunning and many are fragrant.

The most popular one is the Star Gazer. You may have had them in your bridal bouquet :smile:

Many ways to eat the bulbs. There is famous Japanese lily bulbs dish , can’t remember the name right now. I usually just stir fry with veggies such as celery, green pepper or Chinese yam(ShanYao) or potato etc.

1 Like

So funny​:joy::joy:I might want to include it in my next bridal bouquet​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll ship mine to you in a heart beat :smile:

It was so long ago I ever don’t remember what my bridal bouquet :rose::hibiscus::tulip::bouquet::sunflower:looked like​:grimacing:

1 Like

My son has one of those yellow hollyhocks growing - I asked him to save me seed

I have a few coneflowers, a common purple one, these two

And a couple more but the yellow one was eaten down almost to the ground by bunnies. It may or may not flower this year.

5 Likes

7 Likes

My jasmines are starting to bloom after I brought them outside for the summer. They are so fragrant and good in tea.

10 Likes

My are blooming too. I will add it to my daily cup of green tea.

2 Likes