What are your summer flowers blooming?

Like this?

1 Like

I used to grow the multi-layered jasmine like that called Grand Duke of Tuscany (nice name) but they are so stingy of blooms. After a few years, I gave it away.

I have only a single layered one for sentimental value (grew up with it). The one I have called Maid of Orleans. Itā€™s a bit spreading, not as compact as I want for a container plant. Itā€™s been with me longer than the Duke and has outlasted the Duke :smile:

2 Likes

Very nice. What is the name of this cultivar? It doesnā€™t look like a Grand duke of Tuscany, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

I donā€™t recall the name of the potted jasmine I had for several years, until it was done in by a late freeze, but the scent would knock your sox off

2 Likes

This one is Grand Duke of Tuscany Supreme. Itā€™s a more vigorous plant with pointier leaves than GDoT. I also bought a similar looking variety from the Asian market. They sold it as ā€œTiger Headā€ jasmine.

@mamuang I have a Thai variety called Mali Pikul. Are you familiar with this one? It has double layered flowers but they are much smaller and more numerous that any Grand Duke of Tuscany. All the ones I saw when I visited Thailand resembled Maid of Orleans. The blossoms were sold all over the street strung together.

1 Like

Susu, What are the yellow flowers? Very pretty and attractive different foliage. It looks nice and dense, something Iā€™m looking for. Sue

1 Like

Itā€™s Tickseed, variety is Zagreb. It stays in a mound and looks neat. But spreads a lot from year to year. I donā€™t have much summer flowers going this year since groundhog eats it all. But this one he doesnā€™t seem to like.

2 Likes

We call it coreopsis around here. The lighter yellow called Moonbeam is quite common.

Tickseed or coreopsis has many shapes and forms. Some you have hard time believing they are related.

1 Like

As far as jasmine scent goes, I think the scents of Mysore Molly , Belle of India, and maid of Orleans are the most fragrant, sweet and pleasant . Maid of Orleans are the easiest to grow and bloom. Duke of Tuscany, tiger head and Duke of Tuscany supreme, precious pearl are largest in flower size and number of petals. There something in between such as Molly chat, if I spelled it right , has 2~3 tiers flower construction very interesting looking. I had them all then died one by one. Now I only have the India, the Orleans, the Duke , and night of Arabic which is similar to the Orleans

2 Likes

I have Grand Duke and the one flower it has opened so far (about a month back) was smallā€¦but the plant is still only about a foot tall or so? The leaves are a tad yellow at least compared to my gardeniaā€¦i wonder if it has been all the rain or a nutrient issue?

1 Like

It likes acidic soil. Lot of sunshine, lot of fertilizer , and lot of waterļ¼Œwater frequently. And flower better if frequently trim the branches.
Duke is a slow grower, tends to grow one long stock, cut it to force it branch out and root new plants from the cuttings.

2 Likes

So very similar to gardeniaā€¦iā€™m watering those things daily and feeding them weekly and they continue to throw out bloom after bloom.

I see my night blooming jasmine has all kinds of new flowers getting ready to open. That thing can fill the backyard with its scent at night.

It probably likes diluted fertilizer weak strength every time you water. I have night Bloom Jasmine too. Itā€™s ok to stay outside.it is too powerful scents to be brought indoor.

The acidic is the problem. My water is very alkaline. Thatā€™s one reasons I gave up blueberries. My hydrengeacolor is neither blue or white without a lot of effort to adjust ph of the soil.

I know people who grow jasmine well have resolve this problem by using organic fertilizer, bury pine leafs under ā€¦Lot of compost mixed with soil. In my house, long winter low temperature is a big problem for jasmine. Mites weakens the plants during winter indoor

3 Likes

Mites are the reason why I donā€™t grow bananas and chili peppers indoor anymore.

@IL847, thank you for all the advice. I see re-potting my jasmine coming in the near future :smile:

1 Like

Try to root Jasmine cuttings for insurance. They are fairly easy to root.

2 Likes

One of my lotus is starting to bloom and will go all summer. I have 5 different varieties and just keep them in large pots filled with water, sometimes using those plastic/resin half barrels that you can get pretty cheaply at HD and Lowes. Since so many plastic pots donā€™t have the holes pre drilled, you have so many choices now for container water gardening. The Lotus themselves are planted into plastic oil change pans so they are easy to take out and drop into the bottom of the pond for easy wintering over.

14 Likes

I need to learn more from you. I love to have a pot of lotus or water lilies. Remind me of my childhood.

1 Like

Beautiful! How do you make it bloom? Mine does not want to bloom. Beautiful leaf but no flowers, very frustrating