What are your summer flowers blooming?

So pretty! I have one with a reddish tint to it

Thank’s! :blush:

Jasmine continues to bloom. Plant was repotted about a month ago …probably needs to be fed again. Very strong scent on these blooms///too bad they don’t last long at all.

9 Likes

Has anyone tried Salvia gregii in the Northeast? I’ve ordered one from High Country Gardens that claims it should be plenty hardy once established, but I think winter moisture could be a concern. I have quite sandy soil, so I may have adequate drainage. If that’s not enough, I’ll give it the cactus treatment and build a gravelly raised bed.

4 Likes

Sprekelia formosissima

7 Likes

One of common summer flowers around here, Black-eyed Susan, Rudbeckia hirta.

10 Likes

I have these all over my garden. None came up this year. Maybe the lack of rain and 97 degree weather? I was actually quite surprised not no see them this year. But then again nothing I have has preformed as I had hoped this year.

Sete capotes

Do these reseed and spread a lot? Like Cal. Poppies?

They easily reseed. They show up everywhere but I don’t mind as they are pretty. It is also easy to pull them when they show up in the middle of my watermelon patch or among my hydrangeas,etc.

@dutch-s - I think heat and drought is the cause of the no-show of your blacked eyed Susan this year. Although it is drought tolerant, I give them some water when they look wilty.

3 Likes

Like skinny sunflowers!

1 Like

I ordered giant sunflower seeds from Renee’s after seeing this video.

https://youtu.be/sfVakC6arqo

I was hoping the sunflowers will reach my roof (14 feet as in the video) and it would be fun to click a pic, standing next to it. Unfortunately, my spot is not ideal as it has only afternoon sun. The plant still grew more than 7 feet, so I replaced the person in the pic to make them look taller :slight_smile:

I really like the color and texture of the flower

9 Likes

6 Likes

Sunflowers are fun to grow. I grow a one called Mongolian. It is taller than my J plum tree, near 14’ and is still growing. Can’t wait to see how big the flower head will be.

2 Likes

I had good results with Kong in 2016.

1 Like

14’ is impressive. Do you use any fertilizer? If yes, which one and whats the schedule?

1 Like

I used to build a fort by planting Mammoth sunflowers in a circle for my daughter. That was fun. The not fun was when we had to removed the dead plants. A lot of digging as their rootballs took up a lot of space.

Also, that’s when I witnessed a groundhog climbing up one of those sunflower plants to get to the seeds.

4 Likes

It is high up in the sky.I was going to net the flower head after it blooms but I am wondering how can I reach it now. I didn’t fertilize it alone but it is in my garden plot and very likely got some fertilizer when I fertilize the rest of the plants.

1 Like

Under the hydrangea is a fav fluffy butt hang out spot. I believe this is a pinky winky hydrangea.

Some bright mostly annuals. Butterflies have started emerging from chrysalises.

8 Likes

6 Likes