What are your summer flowers blooming?

Most roses need spraying for black spot, same fungicide you use to spray for CAR. If not spray, they defoliate by mid sumner and look ugly. Most roses bloom from spring to fall.

Peony will do fine if you have sun from 11- 5 pm. It only blooms in the spring for about 2 weeks.

1 Like

Deer love hosta ( at least here in Georgia)

There are maybe some hardy rhododendrons that may work, but I think the list of ornamentals that check all boxes is going to be very short.

More lovely orchids…

5 Likes

Let’s try this again, curcuma and heliconia

8 Likes

WOW! They are really marvelous, specially the first! :+1:

1 Like

Do those overwinter where you are at in the ground?

I have a heliconia but i doubt it’ll bloom for another year or more. I have to move it inside here very shortly.

My plumeria is blooming again but i have to put some hardware cloth over the blooms or the stupid birds keep trying to peck at them. This one too will need to come inside next week (cold).

3 Likes

The curcuma are tender perennials I’ve only had two winters here but they were mild. What’s nice about this heliconia pittosaurim is it flowers and same year growth, most heliconia flower on second year. It was 6$ at Lowe’s very happy with it 3rd flush of flowers this year. It won’t survive winter I’ll dig up a piece to bring inside. I’ve been wanting a plumeria but when east coast growers show pictures I see few flowers mostly leaves. Do you get good amount of flowers from them?

5 Likes

This is the second bunch of flowers. The first came out in late July. There is still another set to come but it’s probably too late. I’ve read you can store them dormant over winter which i might try. This was seed grown. It took a solid 3 or 4 years to bloom for me but it has done fine inside over winter. I have 4 cuttings that i got from Florida that are suppose to be different colors–i’ll let those grow over winter.

One thing in the spring i won’t do again is just move them into full sun. Mine got fried early on and burnt up most of its leaves. I would think in Georgia you could easily get them to bloom all summer with your heat/long growing season.

1 Like

Yes I understand they are easy to store dormant, that’s a plus. I might get one eventually. Post pics when your cuttings flower.

End of Summer flowers…

5 Likes

A rogue morning glory

Red Roselle

4 Likes

My grandmas roses and blooming flowers

!

4 Likes

Summer’s long over, but the mustards are in bloom. Good thing for the bees. They were out and about, and there wasn’t anything else for them.

2 Likes

After Memorial Day, it is summer to me. Move on from spring flowers to summer flowers.

Technically, peonies are spring flowers but mine just start to bloom.

8 Likes

@northof53 Ursula,
Would you be able to identify the peony in my last pic, please? When in a shady area, the petals had some green in it. Now I moved the plant to a sunnier area, petals turn more pinkish.

It is an unusual flower form and color. Love to know the variety.
Anyone else can tell, please?

The bottom one looks like Pink Jitterbug. Most pictures from online suppliers are taken when the blossom is at it’s peak or just before, this one looks like it is in the last stages of bloom. There are literally thousand of peony varieties.

3 Likes

Taken a couple days ago

3 Likes

Thank you, Ursula. I looked up Pink Jitterbug. It definitely did not look like mine. The Jitterbug was a lot more pink than mine even in an early stage of blooming. Mine had more white with some green on each petal. It was more green when in shade.

You are right that there are so many peonies out there. I got this one from Home Depot at the end of season sale, no tag, about 10 years ago. It is quite unusual. Wish I knew the name.

4 Likes