What causes watercore in apples?

Last year my Winesap had a condition in some of its apples that I assumed to be watercore. It was mainly in its core spreading outward with a grayish water like texture with a undesirable taste.

I read up on it but could not come to a solid conclusion as to what was causing it. It seemed to be something related to calcium deficiency. In that case would it do any good to bury egg shells around the tree?

2 Likes

I know nothing about watercore, but if you want to add calcium, yes crushed eggshells is one way to do so.
There are commercial products out there too that are marketed for helping tomatoes and other veggies with calcium deficiency issues.
Depending on the size of the tree, it would probably take a significant amount of eggshells, but i could be wrong.

1 Like

My Winter Banana usually gets watercore. I find a little to taste good but the more it gets the worst it taste. No idea what causes it.

2 Likes

I get water core in my Tollman Sweet and Hudson’s golden gem. Sometimes in cox.
I have found that this happens with too much watering and especially from fertilizing.
Both Tollman Sweet and Hudson’s are better with slight water core but worse with too much water core.

2 Likes

I got a little (first time) in my Liberties this year. and yeah, a little tastes good but too much is not good.

Fuji’s are really prone to it, I understand.

2 Likes

Watercore seems to be least fairly common then. Winesap is suppose to be a late season apple ripening in about late October. If I remember correctly though, mine ripened last year much earlier than that - maybe as early as August. I’m wondering because I had watercore last year, will I necessarily have it this year? If so, I maybe better off to start eating them now.

Some years I have it much more than others. Also, the same tree has more or less water core at times. Over ripening also contributes. Like others have said, a little water core enhances flavor.

1 Like

No, hot and dry August-October last year…I don’t think the same pattern will be true this year in KY-TN. Maybe some tropical enhanced rainfall, and some cooler after Labor Day which would be great for late ripening apples.

1 Like