What did you do in your orchard today?

I hesitate to call what I have an orchard, but I put additional supports on all of my grafts. They have all grown so much that I felt they were past the limits of the smaller supports I had in place. I spent a couple of hours and was pleased with the results. I suspect as we go into next month some of the growth will slow down a bit.

Better safe than sorry. It really hurts to have a graft blow out!

1 Like

With all of the rain all I could do was take a picture.

1 Like

Looks nice, what kind of Apple is that?

Stark Honeycrisp Dwarf Supreme planted bareroot March 2012
It is right at 8’ tall.

2 Likes

Today, I did a summer haircut for all my 3 Asian pears and a 3-in-1 pluot. Tomorrow probably work the peach!

What is your objective when you summer prune? Are you trying to control the height ?

I planted them like 2’ from the fence so size control and height control is necessary. Pears in general seems to like vertical growth. Leaving them unchecked, they will be dense, tall and lanky fruit trees. I’ll try to remember to take some pictures to post tomorrow.

That would be great, would like to see how it looks.

Added a squirrel deterent around a pear tree.

I detered my squirrels with my Remington :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Great looking tree there. Looks like no bug hits on fruit. Nice.

I added another spreader to my 20th Century. Shaping is coming along well I think. Though its weird, that tree just WANTS to weep.

I wish i could do that here…but i have this odd feeling the local police would show up with their guns drawn and i’d end up in the local newspaper :)… trapping seems to work well…which i plan to implement any day now…

1 Like

All I did was to stay out of the rain UGHH!.

Very wet June here here in the Lower Hudson Valley in NY 6 inches+ so far this month after a dry (1inch) May.
And mostly in the last 2 weeks.

My only positive is that my orchard is on a generally gentle downward grading ( 2 foot drop over a 150 foot length) so it is and will be draining.

Mike

Planted my three cold-tolerant, experimental mangoes (‘Pineapple’, ‘Gold Coast’, and ‘Tequila Sunrise’), and my Che tree. All in areas where there is existing water, so no net increase in water, which is critical right now since we’re on strict water rationing. Hope they all make it. Picked my last Sweet Treat pluerries and picked a couple of outrageously delicious Burgundy plums. Boy are those good. I don’t even mind the tart skin. Waiting on some Dapple Dandy pluots to ripen up a bit more. They’re getting really big and really ripe looking. And, hoping I can still get some Flavor King pluots to myself this year. This was the one cultivar (besides my apples) that set really well this year. It will be my first real crop and very excited. If the GD squirrels don’t get them, first.

I ate what I think were Burgundy store bought plums this week - and even that way, they were a grand pleasure to eat. Is Burgundy more of a West Coast tree though? Not sure how it would do in my maritime humidity. The which-to-grow plum question is always on my mind lately.

Much luck with the new trees Patty, especially the experiments. Will you need to winterize them? (I know nada about mango growing.)

You’ll know because they are a deep purplish red inside. Often described as “blood red”. Mine are so dark they’re almost black. They are super “plumy” tasting, rich, extremely sweet and complex. It is still a little early for them, but we had such a bizarre winter, many of my stones fruits are ripening about a month early. I think it’s one of those plums that perform very differently depending on locale. Here in S. California, they are prized for their exceptional flavor, and they are not disappointing this year.

As to the mangoes - they are part of a special group of mangoes that are being trialed right now for California growing. They are supposed to be more cold-tolerant, and we’re all going to just let them be, and see how they fare. I am zone 10a, and we rarely get temps below freezing, but, we can have a few days during some winters where our nighttime temps drop down below freezing for a few hours. These mangoes are supposed to be able to tolerate that, for our local CRFG chapter had a member who kindly organized a group buy a couple of years ago. We funded the program by paying ahead, and two years later, our mangoes were ready. So, I bought 3 of the trial cultivars and we’ll see how they do over the next few years. Mangoes and papayas are hard to grow, even for me. You might be able to grow them RIGHT on the coast, but I’m about 7 miles inland as the crow flies, plus at almost 1,000 ft. altitude. So, we can get a few nights where temps can dip below freezing, even if it’s just for a few hours. Neither mangoes or papayas can tolerate freezing temps, so this trial is very exciting. If the cultivars continue to do well, they could be grown commercially in California. Of course, that is, if we ever can get any water out here :slight_smile:

This is what my pears and plum looks like after the hair cut. They’re about 8’ height vs. over 10’ before the cut back. Picture is taken this morning. So much rain this month that the trees are on booster growth lately!

1 Like

@tomIL,

Beautiful, lush growth.

But looks a little dense in the center of the trees. Especialy near a fence which already cuts down on air circulation.

How are the espaliers doing?

Mike

Mike,

Which one, or all 4, that I should trim further? Please know that I treasured yours, Alan’s and many experts’ advices on this board.

Up to yesterday afternoon, I still pinched the espaliers. So much growths with all the rains. I also noticed and rubbed off the aphids/ants with the lush tender growths. Maybe I should slow down the pinching once the rain are less intense in July. I’ll post another update if rain allows for an interrupted schedule of theirs!

Tom