What did you eat today - that you grew?

@steveb4 … today i have 2 crockpots going… making more Venison Roast BBQ.

2 hind quarters and 2 front quarters.

Going to eat one good mess of this cooking… and then freeze the rest to eat over the next several months.

**Add later… 6 hours on low… after pulling…the end results.

8 Likes

Looks pretty good…depending on the BBQ / flavorings.
(I’m not big on sugar/vinegar types of concoctions).

Have you ever tried smoking them? Think it would help with the game taste?

I have tried smoking them several times and it works great. It is not as simple and easy as crockpot though. Especially the cleanup after.

I think the key to success with very good crockpot venison bbq is in being very selective on the deer. A 7 or 8 month old doe is ideal. Both that i harvested this year were born this spring… probably april or may.

Meat from those is just excellent… not gamy at all and very tender.

If you like a good pork bbq… this is the next best thing. Very similar… hard to tell it is not pork.

Once it is done and pulled… just add the bbq sauce you prefer. We like primal kitchen… it is keto… and adds some smokey flavor.

I ate a huge pile of that bbq last night for dinner with a low carb high fat salad. Going to have some for lunch today… and then freeze the rest.

1 Like

So… 4 ate venison BBQ for dinner last night… and 4 for lunch today… and I froze 6 pints for later.

5 Likes

Had some end of season Swiss Chard. Added this to the Receipt Category.

2 Likes

lamb roast from a neighbor’s farm, with fennel, parsnips and leeks from the garden. red kuri for tomorrow in the background. used sumac, herbs, garlic and onion from the garden in there

9 Likes

I tried this today and i think it will be an easier way to quickly add tomato to soups, stews, and making a sauce.
I’ve been dehydrating tomatoes for a while and while they are good i thought by grinding them they would be easier and quicker to add to various dishes. Sort of like a coarse chili powder.
You can add whatever amount you need.

6 Likes

I made lemon squares today from my dwarf Myer Lemons.

11 Likes

not grown yet but just planted 20 wash tubs with beets, green onion, Korean radish, french radish. carrots, spinach and lettuce in my grow room. the French radish mature in 18 days. making radish kimchi with them. bunnies, goats and chics get some of the tops. stays about 70 in there when the lights are on. 65 when off.

5 Likes

They look great. I need to find a really good recipe for lemon bars.

2 Likes

And aren’t they gooooood!

2 Likes

Thank You @MikeC and @mrsg47. I used this recipe, but only used 6 eggs.

3 Likes

Lion’s Mane, Pearl Oyster, and King oyster, all picked today. Grown in bins on supplemented sawdust in a garage. No special grow room.

15 Likes

First harvest from my late (restart) greens bed.

Nice to have fresh greens in December.

6 Likes

ive tried several times to grow kings but never was successful. grew plenty of oysters though. heard the kings taste like meat.

1 Like

@steveb4 – Yes, Kings are awesome. If I could only grow one variety, Kings are it. They can be split and grilled. The stems taste as good as or better than the caps, so we don’t have to worry much about managing CO2. I put them in a bin with “shotgun” holes drilled into the top. That seems to keep humidity high enough and CO2 low enough. So they are now very easy. The only thing that is easier is shiitakes in white oak logs.

I failed my first time but the next 3 were easy. I made three changes that helped. First, I waited longer before fruiting. The medium needs to be totally colonized. Second, I used a non-nutritive, sterilized casing layer of peat and vermiculite. I also waited until the casing was well colonized before fruiting. Third, I realized that Kings need ~50 F to trigger fruiting so I cooled the bins by putting them outdoors or in a garage.

Last year I dumped the spent mix in a compost pile and pretty soon there were “wild” mushrooms growing. In those conditions, the stems were shorter and the caps wider. I love the “volunteers.”

Right now the bin is in a cool attached garage. I’m perfectly content growing spring and fall when ambient temperature is cool and humidity is frequently high.

p.s. The Lion’s Mane and Pearly Oyster are in an even cooler detached garage. In still very much in an experimental phase but the cool temps seem to slow and extend production so we can manage the bounty.

3 Likes

The venison looks great. Thanks.

FWIW, I just cooked a similar venison ham from a young doe using sous vide, which I’ve never done before. [I improvised a SV appliance using a beer cooler, a thermometer and a funnel!] Following some on-line guidance for big roasts, I cooked it for 24 hours. The meat was extremely tender; parts were too tender, even mushy. Overall, it was very much like a leg of lamb. Next time I’ll probably try 12 hours, maybe save 24 hours for the rump of a big buck.

1 Like

Greens look great, I’m unable to get some lettuce here for some reason.

Lion’s Mane mushrooms are very expensive here if you can find them. When I was in the UK, it’s £22 a pound.
I can get King Oyster here very cheap, 4lbs for $7.99.

2 Likes