What did you eat today - that you grew?

Edible Landscaping said they were getting the date flavor from steaming them. I meant to try that this year.

1 Like

Dehydrated CH Fig and Kanza pecans.
A nice combo.

8 Likes

The Brussels sprouts that didn’t have time to grow last fall have woken up:

A little bacon, a little maple syrup, delicious.

9 Likes

One leaf of one ramp. :wink: I wanted to see whether or was worth trying to care for them.

2 Likes

Pomegranate, Italian honey fig, rhubarb (as a crisp with a few wrinkled apples from last years crop), asparagus, bok choy, Egyptian onions, cinese cabbage, ivory tower celery and russian red kale. The veggies in a stir fry.

1 Like

Last of the lettuce.

3 Likes

Strawberry rhubarb pie (I grew the rhubarb)

7 Likes

Please put this lovely pie in the recipe section and don’t leave out the recipe! Thanks

3 Likes

The first strawberries of the season! Very early this year. They were so tasty. Makes all the weeding worthwhile.

9 Likes

Well, technically i didn’t grow it, but i did try to augment the area where they grow. Giant yellow morel. There was an even bigger one but it was already decomposing so back to the soil it goes.

14 Likes

That is a monster!

1 Like

@Charles … that one would make a meal.

Never seen a morel here even close to that size.

3 Likes

you pick that at chernobyl! shroom on steroids!

2 Likes

One would think by appearance. However, the tell tale sign of all true morels is that they are hollow.

This impressive beast weighed 126 grams, just over a 1/4 lbs. Once cleaned and fried, it only fed two of us.

Ive found that, similar to shitake mushrooms, morels have more flavor once dried and rehydrated. One favorite is a simple bechamel mushroom sauce on noodles or fish.

We just had a blowout rain storm last weekend, so I’m hoping to get a couple more before summer sets in. We’ll see. These are first I’ve seen in 2 years.

2 Likes

Today so far…

Gerardi mulberries … taste even better than last year already.

Obsidian blackberries, sure crop strawberries, heritage red raspberries, red gem and carmine goumi.

Good eats !!!

3 Likes

Harvested some sprouting broccoli and kohlrabi from the garden for dinner.

Kohlrabi got diced, broccoli minced in the food processor, then added in some diced carrot.

Add in some ground pork, rice and a little brown sauce.

And dinner is served…

9 Likes

I’m enjoying assorted goumis and strawberries daily. I’m not sure if it is a native wild or hybridized with intentional plantings, but I keep finding these tiny, almost mushy strawberries in my patch that are out of this world. I find them in other corners of the yard too, as well as the dense, boring wild ones I’m used to.

4 Likes

Well, not everything makes it back to the house. This is a sample of what I got to eat from my yard today.

From top and clockwise:
Red Scarlet Goumi - I’m still getting the hang of waiting until they are full ripe. The bush is tiny and dense and things look redder under the leaves than they do after collection. This was my first year with a yield, and it was a good one. I worried something would steal them all before I got to them. I’ve succeeded enough that I’m not so worried now. The mouth pucker factor of this one is significantly more than Moniz below. The seeds tend to look smoother and whiter and I get more of them that are more sour than their colour suggests they should be.
Unknown Strawberry: This may be a wild, or may be something I planted. It it quite possibly a hybrid. I have several flavors in the wilds growing around the yard, and the worst of these in my strawberry bed tend to match the best of the ones in the yard, and those are mostly good this year. They have not been as mushy as the first ones I collected, and they do appreciate the harvest by producing even more. I like them even when they turn out to not be as red as I would like. The sweetest have stems that are also turning red above the cap.
Moniz Goumi: I’m better at differentiating ripeness on this bush, and the size difference is begiining to show. I bought it from Cliff England last year and enjoyed the last of it’s berries on my ride home. They were not as big this year as those were, but I’m sure it has spent a lot of energy on roots. The bush is much larger and far more open, but total yield will probably be similar. I’ll need to do a harsh prune on it to encourage it to stabilize as a bush as it has one long leader that want to be on the ground with the fruit on it. Seeds are noticeably more ribbed, more fibrous, and retain less flesh without effort.
Orange Raspberry: I should have looked at the tag, but it was raining when I was finding my snack. This one is ahead of all my other raspberries and blackberries. There is quite a range of color depth to them today and I honestly could taste no difference between this small selection even though two were a lot paler than the others. Yesterday I ate one. Tomorrow I’ll get at least a dozen. One small plant in a wooden barrel, but I expect it’ll give me more canes next year.
I also had a few garlic scapes curling enough I removed them. munch one of those while walking throug the yard. I thought I was a dragon. And a few strawberries I planted from Bakers Creek a couple years ago. Those did not survive the trek around the yard. Nice and round, and the stems seem to shrivel as they ripen, almost like they want to make sure they are broken off. I found a couple I had obviously missed melting into the mulch to create me new plants for next year.
I have been fortunate that the critters have not tried to hard for these this year. I guess the wild ones are good enough and prolific enough that they are content further from the house.

5 Likes

Update to the above, and I continue to get to nibble every day…

The definitely planted strawberry was Old North Sea. I have a lot of large plants in the bed, but only get large strawberries in the original plant zone. The berries I am watching are ripening slowly and being left unmolested, but I am still only getting a couple a day, so something may have wiped out hte early crop.

The tiny strawberry is some kind of alpine, still likely some wild and some hybrid. Most of the berries are on the smaller plants, and the ones that have stems and caps that turn red are the smallest plants and usually the smaller spectrum of berries. The ones in the yard tend to be the bigger ones of those. I have very few of the bland ones this year, and the berries seem to all be nicely flavored. They got something they wanted yard wide.

The orange rasperry I have been getting is Fall Gold. My other orange is Double Gold. It has started giving me fruit too. I get a half dozen before and after work each day. They are both variable in how bright htey are colored when they are ripe, but if I stick to “evenly colored”, they generally make me smile. I’m getting a bit carried away with grabbing those that look ripe, so I keep getting a couple that are only ripe on one side. Double Gold is more often a full orange color.

The Goumis are starting to run out of fruit. Both still have the full spectrum from green to red daily. I have gotten less impatient and find more full red, but that is often still a day or two before peak, but I usually have almost no astringency. I have had a couple from Sweet Scarlet that tasted exactly like fruit punch. My ripest from Moniz has more cherry overtones. (Not the dark “Bing” style, but the paler “Ranier” style cherry flavor. I’m mostly eating the ones I pick each day, but I have a couple cups in the refrigerator I may end up testing how quickly they perish with, although I bet I’ll eat most. One of my staff at hte group home likes them. A couple of the folks there decidedly did not, so the rest are all without comment, although they haven’t stopped eating them once in a while. The bush I planted there is Carmine, but it won’t likely fruit this year, and may not next year. They are all watching the blackberry flowers in hopes of getting to them first, and a couple remember there are strawberries underneath them. I’m the only one who has noticed they occupy the lawn too, but the wild ones there are still mostly the bland but pretty type. I assume they are an alpine variant, but they are generally round.

I expect I’ll find the last garlic scapes this week and start watching for harvest time on the earliest ones before the month ends. (6B/7A)

6/11/24 update:

The greenery here is rosemary I am let dry from the cuttings I am seeking to propagate. i did not eat that today.

The little red thing is the smallest alpine strawberry I have ever seen. Most I get are significantly larger.

The blueberries are from my most recent acquisition. I bought another blueberry bush I did not need because it had lots of these tiny little dots on it. I am not sure if it is a sport on the larger plant (blueberry “buckle”) of it it was a hitchhicker. Potting it up did not answer. If it is two plants, they are well entwined. Berries from both sides of the plant make me smile, but I love the tiny ones.

Blueberry buckle is apparently a hibred of vaccinum myrsinites and V. corymbosum. The former is the plant which gives these tiny fruits. It may not be able to survive the winter here.

2 Likes

AU Rubrum’s first year fruiting! I am so pleased with the flavor. Half of the tree is grafted with AU Rosa but those look like they need a few more weeks.

7 Likes