What did you eat today - that you grew?

Last night . . .

Tomatoes. Yellow Squash. Japanese Eggplant. - home grown.
Vidalia Onion. Garlic. Chicken.

Note: I learned an amazing trick from some Chinese restaurant-owner friends. You might already know this . . . but I’ve been creating sautéed combos for almost 50 years (ugh!) and never knew this. I used this tip last night - a miracle!

To tenderize chicken (maybe pork or beef too?) sprinkle with baking soda, toss and let marinate for 20 minutes. Rinse the meat well and pat dry. - Proceed with whatever recipe you want to prepare! It is a miracle. No more tough chicken breast or tenderloins.
Who knew???

11 Likes

A few nice llooking Ghost peppers but super🔥 .

5 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5, they are beautiful but are they spicy?

The ghost pepper, also known as bhut jolokia, is an interspecific hybrid chili pepper cultivated in Northeast India. It is a hybrid of Capsicum chinense and Capsicum frutescens. In 2007, Guinness World Records certified that the ghost pepper was the world’s hottest chili pepper, 170 times hotter than Tabasco sauce.

2 Likes

Oh no, I don’t really like very hot pepper, cayenne pepper is the hottest pepper I have, and I have one cayenne pepper plant out there. I’m waiting for the peppers to turn red and then I’ll dry them. I will make beef jerky in the winter, that’s the only reason why I grow very spicy pepper in the first place.

1 Like

@PomGranny, the dish looks good. I have a question regarding marinating in baking powder, why do you have to rinse them off, it’s ok to eat baking powder right.

@SoCalGardenNut - I used baking soda - which I think is one of the ingredients in baking powder? - But, to answer your question . . .
I don’t know? Maybe it is because the object is to tenderize it - and not to add anything additional to the recipe at hand? ???

1 Like

Thanks @PomGranny, I have a big box of baking soda, maybe I will try on some tough meat.

This is my haul today after cleaning out the melon bed, I need to start sowing winter vegetables soon.
I was very surprised to find watercress, for years I try growing them in container unsuccessfully.

4 Likes

Caprese Salad with Midnight Sun and Paul Robeson tomatoes.

10 Likes

Saw a youtube video of some people doing that with steak. They put a lot on it though. I thought it was just some crazy video. May give that a try. And yeah, I would wash it off. It’s not going to hurt you, but it does have an off taste.

beautiful!

1 Like

The main crop fig season is starting here in RI. I picked these today. It’s a combination of LSU Purple that benefitted from a head start indoors under lights and Improved Celeste just doing its usual thing, pumping out fruit early. Both potted.

p.s. I don’t intend to eat the dead cicada, upper left.

10 Likes

@jrd51 I use egg cartons, too, for figs! :grin:

12 Likes

I harvested the peaches because the wildlife was getting a little too hungry

13 Likes

try covering both sides of the meat of your choice with salt. leave in the fridge for 3-5 days uncovered. rinse under cold water. pat dry and cook immediately. i guess the Japanese have been tenderizing meat like this for centuries. there’s some vids on you tube about it. even chicken breasts come out tender.

1 Like

I do that with roast beef, it does tenderize them, but I don’t rinse the salt, it becomes a crust after cooking. From my Instagram feed, a chef from Hong Kong often throws in cornstarch. Perhaps that’s another tenderizer.

1 Like

yes they say not to rinse but the salt is too much. my wife likes it unrinsed also. ive used buttermilk and vinegar as a marinade. also good.

1 Like

You can brush the salt off, but my kids sad they were the best tasting prime rib they had. I only do this once a year, around Christmas, when the weather is cool enough todo 3-4 hours baking in the often.

Usually do that one when I use the smoker. Works great on big pieces of meat, but will dry out smaller pieces.

1 Like

What variety of peaches are these? They look delicious. Nice job with growing them.