What fruits did you eat today?

Mine was on the other side,being over ripe.Last year was the first time fruiting and I was unsure,when to pick.
So,somewhere between your stage and mine should be just right,kind of like,the three bears story.bb

2 Likes

6 Likes

Are these Shinseiki?

Visited a friend’s place who grows tropical fruits and tried some for the first time

Rose apple - Intense rose flavor with mild sweetness. Its like it was dipped in rose water

Wax Jambu - refreshing but mild. Reminded me of Asian pear but less sweet

10 Likes

Yes! I still have 3/4 on the tree.

1 Like

Bought these in a store.

4 Likes

I love these Trapa natans. Although when you google it, these are also called water chestnuts. Their shape looks like water buffalo horns.

For us, water chesnuts are Eleocharis dulcis. I love them both.

1 Like

What do they taste like? Or are they water chestnuts?

The buffalo horns tastes similar to nuts. To cook them, we simply boil them in water and add salt to the wateras much or as little as you prefer.

Same method of cooking for water chestnuts (the round shaped kind). The one is also crunchy, on top of yummy.

@mrsg47,
Had too many cracked mirabelles. Last night, got 2 kilos and decided to make jam.

12 Likes

The ripe ones have more starch and can be boiled(or grounded) and eaten/tasted like regular chestnuts. The immature ones can be eaten raw. They are very crunchy, and the texture a lot like water chestnut with light sweet taste and light pleasant aroma.

I don’t see these fresh water plant fruits very often in Asian grocery store in US. I saved few pieces of these nuts to grow for next year

1 Like

Annie,
I admire your willingness to grow them. Wish you a lot of success. All I recall was that they grew in water.

1 Like

Love it!

Yes they grow in water.

Coffecake persimmon

15 Likes

Wow, its ripe already? Is there any way to tell if it has seeds before you cut it? I have exactly 1 fruit on my tree, if it didn’t get fertilized I’d hate to waste it by cutting it while its firm. But I want to taste it firm if its pollenated. There were male flowers less than 100 feet away when this was in bloom, but it only set 1 fruit, it may not have attracted bees.

Haven’t verified its still there after yesterdays wind storm.

Edit, actually, I can see it there through the window, but half of the trees leaves are gone.

1 Like

Sugar Sweet pear, tangy, sweet and very juicy!

11 Likes

DWN states the harvest window begins in one week. So I sneaked one as a preview. It was great by the way…sweet and perfect.

I don’t know how to tell if there are seeds without cutting it. My tree is 5 feet from a Chocolate persimmon, so it is showered in pollen.

2 Likes

Just keep them away from any waterbodies. They are wildly invasive in the US, and choking up a lot of waterways.

I don’t think it can survive any winter in outside in zone5 . I plan to grow it in pot.