What intentional crosses are you making this year?

I think I can get some pollen. The flowers were still closed as of yesterday. I don’t live at my orchard, but I’ll try to take a drive out one night this week to look around and collect what I can. I’ll pm you once I see what I’ve got. I think I might have some sticks of Arkansas Black in my fridge I can send you too.

1 Like

Sweet, thanks!

I started bagging this year. I usually don’t, but I remove all petals. I like to use florescent plastic flagging tape, usually pink or orange. Sharpie is not always reliable til the following year on plastic for me here, but it is until mid to late summer. Organza bags are cheap and easy to put on for bagging blossoms.

2 Likes

Will do. Both are small grafts, but hopefully will put on enough growth this season to provide some scions for you.

Your Black Strawberry is a beautiful apple.

1 Like

Intresting idea of removing the petals. I wondered before. I though the insects used the petals for “long range” visual detection of flowers. But was not sure if they also go by them on short range. Or will polinate a petal-less flower anyways as long as a neigbouring flower whith petals has attracted them.

Have you ever observed this to happen?

I think you have higher light intensity and UV than me. I am trying out paint markers.
Edding 751 this year. Thus far am satisfied. Especialy the whithe one writes verry readable on bark. Im curious how readable it’ll be after a few years of the bark growing. Those markers are supposed to be way more permanent than normal solvant based markers.

• The paint-like ink is quick-drying, weatherproof, extremely lightfast and wear-resistant

Awesome. I’m sure I can manage at least a small scion of Black Strawberry for you next year. Just let me know next winter and we’ll trade.

2 Likes

One more dark apple that might be worth a look, if you haven’t already: Burgundy.

1 Like

Does your Burgundy have red flesh? Mine has not yet fruited. I understand some red streaking under the skin at least.

Some bleed-though under the skin, like a Viking, Williams’ Pride, or Carolina Red June.

1 Like

Thanks. How would you rate it quality wise?

Only have anecdotal reports thus tar, as my own graft has just set its first few fruit, but it sounds promising. It’s an Antonovka x Macoun cross. I should know more this fall.

Update: Misremembered the parentage. OP says Monroe x (Macoun x Antonovka).

1 Like

I got my hands on a Wickson scion this year, which is not very common in europe.
There were some flowerbuds and I couldn’t resist, so I left one and pollinated it with Lombarts Calville pollen. It is now sizing up nicely despite some hail damage

3 Likes

4 Likes

Nice work, Dax. I’ve harvested a few of the apple crosses I made this spring, and I’m counting down the days to harvest my hand-pollinated persimmon crosses. I’m really looking forward to seeing what comes of my Izu x (male persimmon hybrid) crosses and my Rojo Brilliante x (male persimmon hybrid) crosses.

2 Likes

Is that a male kaki or male Virginiana?

It’s a hybrid. I’ve got a few males that were seedlings of Rosseyanka.

Yep, get that gene pool broadened.

That’s an “F1” Rosseyanka not “F2”. An F2 is when a seedling of an F1 bears. In other words, The the second generation of a cultivar is an F2 (second fruiting).

Good luck!

2 Likes

Roger that. Thanks for the clarification, Dax.

1 Like

Dax, (or anyone else who knows) somewhere along the line some persimmons were bred to fruit while seedless. Is this a gene that is passed on to offspring that you can select for, or is it luck of the draw? Or is this why you “back cross” on certain persimmons or other fruit? Sorry to stray off topic but this seemed like a valid question given the topic on hand…

2 Likes

I don’t believe that’s correct, Ryan. I believe female trees are all seedless and males are all pollen donators. The fact that some female trees have male flowers is why those females have seeds.

Feel free to correct me, anyone.

Dax

1 Like