What peppers are you planning to grow in 2017?

2016 was a crazy good year for pepper production here! We got a TON of Jalapeno, Bell and Pimento peppers:

http://theaveragedude.net/index.php/2017/01/08/how-to-optimize-pepper-production-with-sub-irrigated-beds/

I’m thinking about branching out next year and adding a couple of new varieties. Specifically, I’m looking to add Hungarian Wax, Santa Fe and Thai Chilis to the garden. What varieties are you planning to add? Curious if I should expand further. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hungarian Wax is one of my favorites.

If you are looking for something and can’t find it take a look at my list on seeds for scions thread. I would be happy to help out. No trade needed, I"ve gotten enough scions for this year.

Dale

My jalapeño plant is still green from 2016 with a pepper or 2 lol

1 Like

Looking through my seeds for 2017, I’ve saved:

Hot Peppers -
Guajillo
Sahuaro Hybrid
Bulgarian Carrot
Hungarian Wax (the version from Tomato Growers Supply Co.)

Sweet Peppers -
Corno di Toro Red
Giant Szegedi

I mostly grow green chili peppers, I’m going to try some bell peppers from the UK next year, and some favorite sweets, and a number of super hots, besides my usual green chili’s.
Last week I tried some of my Orange Tree Habenero peppers, and I really like them. Decent heat, and a refreshing taste. Some to me taste earthy, or musky, heavy heat with an earthy burn. Very hot jalapenos are like this. I love jalapeno, but not when they are too hot. This pepper had a nice clean heat, it’s a keeper for me along with the fish pepper my favorite hot pepper.
For sweets I like to grow Yellow Monster and Spanish Mammoth. Sweets are not very productive here, and these have worked for me. Many good ones out there.

My Johnny’s order includes Carmen, Escamillo, Lunchbox Mix, Gourmet, X3R Red Knight, Helios habanero, Red Flame Cayenne, Highlander Anaheim, Baron Anchored, and Jalafuego Jalapeno. I probably have some cubanelle and banana pepper seeds still, too. I love sweet frying peppers.

This pepper grows like crazy. Big too! But it’s so hot I don’t like it. I like heat, but prefer a milder jalapeno. I’m still looking for a good one. I’m going to grow some I liked I got at the store. Maybe hybrids, gonna grow anyway. I pickled most of my Jalafuego’s, and I used them all up quickly. This grows so well I may grow it again anyway. It outpaced all other jalapenos I grew, just wish it was a touch milder.

1 Like

I generally enjoy sweet peppers, but last year I grew a Carolina Reaper. I felt like maybe my soil had too much nitrogen because it put out tons of fast green growth with little pepper production. Of course my greens in the garden now are happy.

I did get to eat 2 reapers. Yes they are super hot, but also super tasty. I would only use them for the thrill factor of letting people try it. Its way to hot to do much with.

Trader Joes has been putting out some good organic sweet peppers, I would like to grow something like that.I wanted to check out the “seeds for scions thread”

Here is a link to it to save anyone trouble of searching
http://growingfruit.org/t/seeds-for-scions/8346/7

2 Likes

Richard – do you have a favorite recipe for Hungarian Wax peppers?

1 Like

I enjoy the Numex Suave peppers.

Another vote for Hungarian wax peppers. I’m not a pepper expert, only grown 4-5 varieties but now always grow Hungarian wax plus a new variety. That’s it. 2 types of peppers. 4 Hungarian wax plants and one new variety plant every year. Hungarian wax is always very productive. Those plant give me enough to eat all summer and then freeze some for winter. I add it to stir fries. They’ll alwsys have a spot in my little garden!

By the way, I don’t start anything from seed. There’s a nursery in East Earl, PA that has great plants for very cheap. Usually a 4 pack around a dollar. It’s a bit of a drive for me but well worth it. I know people who start from seed mostly do it because they want rare varieties etc. but these guys have a great selection too in case anybody would like to check them out. Black Creek Greenhouse is the name.

I grow from seed as for me part of the fun is growing pepper plants I never grew before. I keep a garden journal and record my thoughts, if they are keepers I write it down. I have quite a few keepers, but my needs are a lot different than most. Chili powders, paprika, green chili sauces, red chili sauces. for pickling. For Caribbean dishes.
So I like to try new ones every year, just fun for me. I have to grow the green chili’s every year as they are used weekly in my household. Besides that I can grow anything else.
Last year I discovered Beaver Dam peppers. late to mature, the best pepper I ever used for stuffing. Perfect for my taste buds, and can be used when yellow. Probably a lot like wax peppers. Looks like one.
Tennessee Cheese was a prolific sweet pepper. It makes small round peppers with thick walls, great for stuffing for appetizers. Go good with cream cheese, etc.
Those are two that are keepers for me I grew for the first time last year. Since they are stable open pollinated peppers, i can save seed and grow them again every year.

I will 2nd Beaver Dam.

1 Like

Beaver Dam was from a user on Tomatoville. Suggested I try it. I don’t go there much these days, Still a nice site though. I plan to participate more once the season starts.
Many of the peppers I’m planting this year are one’s I have had for awhile and need to evaluate. Suggestions are great, but are only a place to start an evaluation. All gardening is local.
I’m going to grow a lot of peppers next year, some of my seeds got wet, and I need new supplies. I saved enough to plant, but need backup. So I need to grow some for seed this year. Ones I like, it was a good time to cull out varieties that didn’t work for me.

I’m instarting seeds of the following:

Anaheim
Hot Portugal
Hungarian Hot Wax
Fresno
Emerald Fire
Nacho Mucho
Carmen
Bulgarian Carrot

A few of last year’s plants are still hanging there. I’m not sure if they will still maintain the same vigor come spring/summer.

I usually overwinter my peppers but the feeze this year got them. So I will probably replant. Helios Habanero, A couple of different colors of Numex Suave for a mild habanero. Jalafuego Jalapeno for salsa. And then I will add a few that were just different. Purple Jalapeno was one, not very big peppers but pretty plant, dark green leaves with dark purple flowers followed by purple fruit that turns red eventually. Also one which I got into the ground really late last year which was apparently a white variety of habanero.

1 Like

Purchased Carolina Reaper Peppers 2 years ago and in the winter bring them inside on the back porch. Spring time I put them back out on the porch and they are producing at least 2 crops a season. I am now going into the 3rd year on these pepper plant and the stalk/plant is 1 inch or so thick now. ( They are "extremely HOT " )

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone else has had this experience, but I’ve grown both Carolina Reaper and Trinidad Scorpions and I’ve had much better luck in terms of heat and yield with the Trinidad Scorpion. The Scorpion is easily my favorite extreme hot pepper.

Does anyone have suggestions for interesting chili peppers? Their main use would be for drying. I would love a non-red variety to add some visual flair to my ground chili peppers.

Dang you guys are heat masochists! How do you handle the intense heat? My mouth burns eating the Jalapenos we grow. I can’t imagine consuming anything hotter.

3 Likes